Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rusty water heaters

Options
Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
On another energy audit today and I found this.

"professional" HVAC tech said, "They all look like that after a while".

What do you think?

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    Think?

Mark,

It looks the flux to solder the joint, above, out of the picture ran down the pipe. That being the coldwater it could sweat and make a puddle(flux & water) and cause the corrosion. The vent pipe is mounted outside the flange which shows no water trails.

It does not look rusted on the hot water side.

Or some one spilled something.

al
  • Duncan
    Duncan Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Sure...

It just depends what you mean by "After a while." That one looks good, for geological time.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

I failed to mention that this atmospheric water heater is common vented with a draft induced furnace.

When I did a worst case depressurization the water heater back drafted continuously into the basement.

That corrosion is from flue gas condensate.

But you are correct about the cruddy soldering! I bet the HAVC tech thinks that is normal too!!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Mark he's right

They all look like that ....

Right before you rip it out,after telling the HO its now or Saturday night for twice as much.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • scrook
    scrook Member Posts: 26
    Options
    flue pipe...

...connections too? I hope not!
This discussion has been closed.