Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Elec H20 heater for small radiant job?

Options
EricR_2
EricR_2 Member Posts: 43
I have a customer with an all electric house, he is going to build a 2 story 400 sqft addition, 200 sqft garage and 200 sqft living space above, my heat loss calcs come out to 26,150 BTU or around 8KW. He wants radiant in floor for both levels, I was wondering if there would be any problem using a 5500 watt dual element WH running the elements simultaniously? Or use a small commercial WH. Any problem making it a glycol system? Your input would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Outer Limits

Your load is really well beyond the capacity of a simple DHW tank. They just aren't designed or wired to pull on both elements at once. I'd spec in a Slant/Fin Monitor electric boiler and save volume on the glycol mix. Enjoy....Dan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Electric

would be my last choice for a fuel. Any way to use gas, oil, lp? If it absoutely has to be electric I would also advise an electric boiler for that size load.

I like the modulating electric heater on the market these days. They all but eliminate all that relay in and out nonsence and light dimming sceniro that high current draw appliances provide :)

Don't forget a flow switch on any electric boiler installation.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • EricR_2
    Options

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the large amount of glycol needed.
  • EricR_2
    Options
    Any manufacturers equipment suggested

I believe can get Slant fin at a local supplier here in Colorado Springs. He deal mostly with Teledyne Laars, Burnham and Dunkirk. I just started the spec portion but haven't spoe to my suppliers for there sugestions. Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.