Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

recirculating blues, arrgh!

Options
I HAVE A BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED HEATING SYSTEM (A HWG2500 WITH AN AMTROL 120 GAL STORAGE TANK WITH A HEAT EXCHANGE COIL FOR THE TEK CONTROLLED RADIANT SYSTEM WITHIN THE HOME)

THE PROBLEM ARISES FROM A HOT WATER RECIRCULATOR THAT CONTINUES TO FRY. WHEN THE SYSTEM IT TURNED ON YOU CAN VERIRY FLOW BY THE TEMP DIFFERENCE. WHAT ELSE COULD POSSIBLY BE KILLING THE PUMPS BESIDES MY UNTRAINED EYE? WE ARE NOW ON PUMP NUMBER EIGHT.

THE DOMESTIC HOT WATER SYSTEM DOES HAVE A AM102-US (RATED FOR 80 TO 120F)

NEED HELP DESPERATELY. I CAME ONTO THE JOB AT THE TRIMOUT AND BOILER INSTALL STAGE(PREVIOUS CONTRACTOR GONE). HOMEOWNER IS LOADING SHOTGUN WITH OO BUCK SHOT.

THANKS,
DON LARSEN

Comments

• newlove
    newlove Member Posts: 13
    Options
    8 pumps

first thought would be voltage.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I agree

How soon are thay burning up?Sounds like your running a 110 volt motor on 220 volts.
  • newlove
    newlove Member Posts: 13
    Options
    8 pumps

or 220 on 110.water movement could be gravity.
  • Rich C
    Rich C Member Posts: 1
    Options
    8 pumps indicates a system related issue

such as voltage, air, etc. Can you post a schematic of the installation?

I've seen numerous HW recirc pumps that failed because the recirc line was never fully purged of air.

Rich

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Any way

You can dispense with the circulator and use gravity? It really does work great and no cost for electricity, no additional components to fail/wear out.
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Where

in the system is the pump located? The AM102 valves will close against high temperature and could cause a "no flow" condition. The pump could be "dead heading" and over heating. If the water is not moving past the valve,the pump could overheat. You might try a 3 piece pump, it would last a little longer , but I have a feeling the mixing valve is the culprit.
  • Tony_3
    Tony_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hmmmm!

Donny, It sounds like the problem is the tempering valve is locking out at high tempature and therefor creating a "dead head" situation. An easy fix may be to install a bypass connecting to the mix side of the tempering valve.
    TALK TO ME. OUT =0)~~~
This discussion has been closed.