Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The right tool makes all the difference

Replacing valves on a number of CI rads with TRVs. Was cautioned that removing the "tail" from the rad required a spud wrench - it could be difficult and sometimes one had to remove the bushing/tail as a unit and use a new bushing with the TRV tail.

I quickly discovered that a number of unrelated tools all go by the name "spud wrench". At the primary supplier in town I just got a blank stare (putting it politely) in response to my inquiry (even took along the new tail to show what I was trying to install).

At the local old-style hardware the owner at least knew what I was talking about, but didn't have any. At the secondary supplier in town - bingo! Not only knew what I was talking about but had two choices. One was a fits-all stepped tool 9-12" long. Cast in China out of grainy pot metal with non-uniform slots.

The other choice was individually-sized "radiator spud key"
from Pasco specialty & mfg inc (Lynwood CA/Columbia MD).
Nicely machined from a single piece of stock. Uniform, machined slots. Thick 1-1/16 hex head on one end. About 2" long to fit in tight spots.

Used with an 18" long box-end wrench the old tail came out smoothly and the new one went in likewise.

Working with a quality tool designed for the task at hand is one of life's little pleasures.

Mark

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Even if you did not

Do the search in the yellow pages, your time spent finding the correct tool, was worth the lack of frustration useing it. I bet you went to each place and showed them your problem. Most of us ole timers know exactly what you talked about. Seems like old home day! Good Luck and thanks for the memories. bigugh
  • Thomas Powell
    Thomas Powell Member Posts: 11
    tool

I have used the tool you talked about . Usually its to take out the nipples that go into the radiator. The nipples have been in sence 1920s and are brass. The tool shears of the brass tits in the nipple and i have to saw them out. How do you get them out in one piece??? The tool works good for putting new ones in. Thanks Tom
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    In a pinch......

the right sized chisel will work. Find one to fit inside and catch the two little tits. After you break them off try a real small pipe wrench, 6 or 8 inch with an extension. The old tools and the people who know how to use them are starting to disappear
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Wow. I am getting old

when I started every truck had one. You guys are right on the money, they break off the old tits every time. Heres what I have done with little trouble. Saw the brass union nut off diagonally and spread it with a screwdriver to take it off the spud. Then just put what ever wrench size you need for the job, and grab a hold of the spud right on the head. This way you dont %$#@up the threads, trying to saw and collapse. The new ones go right in with the spud wrench.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • are you guys talking about

the all-in-one stepped wrench, or the ones that only fit one size?

I did 3 rads over the weekend - no problem, they came right out.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.