Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Series 4 Boiler

Options
Greg
Greg Member Posts: 3
I have a Burnham Series 4 408 BI steam boiler. It was purchased in 1990. It is a one pipe system. I now have a problem with sometimes short cycles. The boiler comes on, radiators start to heat up and then 30 to 40 minutes the system turns off. To start the bioler again I turn the main power switch to the boiler on and off about 3 times, until I hear a click and the burner lights. Most of the time the boiler will stay on and continue through it's full cycle. On a couple of occassions the burner relights, but goes out again in a minute or two.

Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Check

venting ,mains and rads,Log on to book and more,lost art
    of steam heating its all in there.
  • From your description

it sounds as if the boiler is equipped with an electronic spark ignition system. Do you always have a pilot on this boiler or is it established each time there is a call for heat. It could be one of several things causing the boiler burners to drop out. Some of these things could be a weak pilot flame, flame sensor, ground wire, ignition module, thermostat heat anticipator setting or a plugged syphon on the limit control. I would advise strongly to call a professional to try and pinpoint the problem. It will take much less time and there will be no concern of harm to you or your family by tinkering. Sorry I could not be of more help, but gas troubleshooting should always be left to a qualified individual to perform. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Corp.
  • Greg
    Options

Thanks, I thought it may be an easy quick fix like that dryer. It was just a solenoid.
  • I would suggest you get hold of someone

who services and understands gas ignition systems. Where are you located? I have people all over the country that I know who service gas systems let me know and I will hook you up.
  • Greg
    Options

I'm thinking of calling the person who installed it. Last year I called, but it wouldn't present the problem when he was here. It worked fine for 2 months and then started up again. I just turn it on now and it seems fine. I hate to keep paying for service calls and they can't find any problem
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Greg

It never acts up when the service man arrives believe me we
    hate it as much as you do.The more I read your post the more it appear to be the anticipator on the tstat.Try this next time it start to short cycle go to the stat in turn it up the highest it will go,If it run ,with no cycling then
    its most likely is the stat.If it is locking out for some other reason,I usually ask my customer not to touch anything
    that way I have a better chance of seeing what the problem might be when i arrive.Hopefully this will help,
    Then again I might be flaunting my ignorance again. don
This discussion has been closed.