Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

C.I.B.B. and diverter tees

Options
harvey
harvey Member Posts: 153
A G.C. wants me to pipe a two story house as one zone. Would it work to use diverter tees in the basement for both floors? If not, what system would you use? Total sq. ft. without basement is 3500. Thanks for your ideas

Comments

• Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Several ways

I'm thinking the GC is wanting one zone to save$$ on the install.Is this correct?Piping the beds and living areas with HWBB as two zones seems pretty much a no brainer.Since 90 out of 80 people enjoy cooler temps in the bedroom.But to ponder on the pipe layout.Mono flow sized right is certainly very doable.Another way though maybe to try a two pipe parallel reverse return.This would probably save you a small amount on the emitters and give you a more balanced system.As far as it being a lesser in cost to a 2 zone series loop........I think the two zoner may come in cheaper.

cheese
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    I'm not very familiar w/ CIBB

but could you just pipe it as a two zone to a tee somewhere in the basement and pipe one zone from the boiler to those tees? That way if later on the HO wanted to change the piping it is at least in the basement to get at. kpc PS... add a tstat wire in a easy to get at place
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Cast Iron BB

is not inexpensive. It is very comfortable heat. I would want to be more comfortable by zoning, wouldn't you? The mono-flo , or diverter tee system has worked great SINCE THE 40's ! Thats the point it isn't the fourties any more. For that kind of money I would want to be comfortable and want the first and second floor zoned. I have had good luck home running the baseboard or radiators to a manifold with pex tubing. In the long run it is probably cheaper than the diverter tee method. It will also allow you to use non-electric zone valves [TRV's] on any or all of the rooms. Does the home owner have any say? Or is it already a done deal because of the GC?
This discussion has been closed.