Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

thermometers and pressure guages

Looking for tips on mounting thermometers and pressure gauges in:

1-1/4" iron pipe
1-1/4" copper
1" copper

2" dial thermometers seem to use 1/2" wells while pressure gauges are 1/4 NPT direct.

Use Ts? Tap directly into iron? Do I need to be concerned with thermometer probe blocking flow? Does anyone make a 1-1/4x1-1/4x1/4 iron T?

Mark

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    In all honesty

I going more to digital thermometers with strap on probes, for measuring temperature in pipes. I find them just as accurate, and a bit quicker to respond. If you use a screw in type gauge I recommend a well, for ease of replacement if nothing else. A well type mount would be prefered in a tank or boiler however, in my opinion. Digitals are also able to be used with well mounts.

Virtually all the controls these days tekmar, Erie, Taco, Heat Timer, etc, etc depend on strap on thermistor sensors for control, and temperature sensing. Make sure you put some pipe insulation over the sensor, also.

A well sticking into the flow path should not be a problem with normal acceptable velocities.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • wells

The Honeywell reset control I'm using recommends a well.

The thermometers (supply/return on both primary and secondary) and pressure gauges (each side of pumps) will be a permanent part of the system and are just an "extra" I'm planning to include. They will provide interesting information to the owner but will not control system operation.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that thermometer wells should be mounted in the bull of a T one size larger than the line (with reducers on each end of course). My concern is mainly with the 1" - if I stub out the bull so the well only protrudes 1/4" or so into the stream do you think it will still read the temp OK? I'd like to avoid messing with a 1-1/4 T and reducers.

Mark
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    what brands

Hr, how about a name of those digital thermometers ?

And even yet, how about a photo ?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Mounting

Mark, here are afew ways I do them.Both of these are on 11/2 pipe using 11/2x1/2x11/2 fittings. Hope this helps!
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509

John,

What is this and why here?

al
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    What is it

It's just a ball valve,handle is on other side out of view that's all.This is my own system so I went crazy with ball valves everywhere to make service real easy! Last thing I want to do is to work on my own,after working on others all day I'm sure you know what I mean.
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    it is what it is!

John,

as the saying goes " I'm not nosey I just want to know"

Nice work, thanks

al
This discussion has been closed.