Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Deciding on Radiant Heat

My husband and I are in the process of building a new home in n.y. our main source of heat is a hot air system with coils. We have heard so many wonderful things about radiant heat and would love to add it to some of the rooms in our house(kitchen, family room and master bath).
We contacted Radiantec and they gave us a price quote and instruction manual.They said that it can be installed by the average homeowner if you are fairly handy and have some time. We are a little hesitant and have some questions that we would love to get some advice on.
We would appreciate any help and guidance anyone with some knowledge and experience with radiant heat could give us!

>Between our family room and kitchen we have about 1400 sqft. WE were told the tubing would run through the floor joists under the subfloor. We are laying wood wide planks of hickory on top. 1. How efficient will the radiant heAT BE IF IT HAS TO GO THROUGH TWO LAYERS OF FLOORING?
2. Will the radiant heat damage the wood floor?
3.Do we need sensors in the floor or is a wall thermostat sufficient?
4.Do i have to only use one of the heating systems at a time(hot air vs. radiant ) or can they work together?
5. Does drilling through the foor joists effect the structure and stability of the joists?
6.We have a boiler and a hot water heater. Is one better than the other for the radiant system to work off of?
7.Our house is sheetrocked at this time. We have access to the basement for the family room and kitchen radiant but the master bath is upstairs. Can the tubing be run on top of the subfloor? Can we lay tile over that?
8. Do you know anything about the radiantec system? Is it feasible for someone who is handy to install?

any help at all ,would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Randi and J.J burns

Comments

This discussion has been closed.