Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

f & t traps on vacuum returns

Options
tony_2
tony_2 Member Posts: 1
hey guys i have a vacuum system with thermistatic traps on the radiators. the return risers have f & t traps at the bottom of the riser. leaving the traps the return loop in the basement goes to the new vacuum pump. there isnt a master trap just before the vacuum pump. the f & t traps were installed so that if the thermistatic traps were failing the steam wouldn't make its way back to the vacuum pump. so now the new vacuum pump is sucking back steam. which is a problem. are these f & t traps causing me my difficulties?

Comments

• Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    f&t

From what you're saying, me thinks that there are two traps that the condensate from on rad must flow thru. If you are getting steam at the vac pump, then at least two traps are bad. You must find the rad trap and repair/replace it. Then get rid of the traps at the risers. Look up in Heating Q & A and/or Steam heating Problems, both by Dan H. He explains the whys and wherefores. We in the trade just do it 'cause it works his way. We are ready to fire up twin 80 HP Cleaver Brooks style boilers into an old school w/a vac system. Piped'em like Dan said. Find out soon what happens.
This discussion has been closed.