Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spec - bid work -hb

heatboy
heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
when someone (builder, engineer, homeowner) wants you to bid a project that has specifications already established? To complicate matters, the specs aren't up to what you feel a proper design should be and sense issues downstream. Do you just bid to the design and rely on changes? Would you try to change the design? Or, would you just say "No thanks.", hungry or not? Principals and standards, do they come into play here? Struggling with this.

Warm Regards,

heatboy

"Expert in Silent Warmth"™

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=103&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    I hate to say it, but .....

> when someone (builder, engineer, homeowner) wants

> you to bid a project that has specifications

> already established? To complicate matters, the

> specs aren't up to what you feel a proper design

> should be and sense issues downstream. Do you

> just bid to the design and rely on changes?

> Would you try to change the design? Or, would

> you just say "No thanks.", hungry or not?

> Principals and standards, do they come into play

> here? Struggling with this.

>

> Warm

> Regards,

>

> heatboy

>

> "Expert in Silent

> Warmth"™

>

> 610.250.9885

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 103&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    I hate to say it, but .....

it depends. Are the issues safety, convienience, quality, or efficency? I will always talk to the customer and give them options and opinions, but will respect their decision unless there is a safety or legal issue. In other words, it's THEIR system I am installing in THIER house and I will give them what THEY want for the price I want.

Good luck,

Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Choose your battles

I'm not afraid to approach an engineer with a suggestion for a better, safer, more efficient design idea. Politely done, it will usually fall on open ears. A sharp engineer or designer will pick up on an idea that comes from the voice of experience.

We all have to draw our own "lines in the sand"

Is this a German boiler issue again :)

hot rod

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    health & safety

Unless it's what I see as a health and safety issue, I'll bid it to spec and include a letter letting them know we can design a much improved system if awarded the bid. I might include a tidbit or two to let them know I'm not blowing sunshine up their skirts, but never enough to give away the farm. Too many times, I've laid out the details only to find they took the free design work and had the low baller attempt to follow. Neither were qualified to know right from wrong and therefore never knew they'd missed the boat in the end. The difference is like listening to an elementary school band and the New York Philharmonic orchestra. Both can play the same musical piece, yet deliver radically different results. If they've never "felt" the difference, how would they know?

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    spell it out up front.

you could list substitution requests as add/deduct alternates but cover cost impact to other trades....like if you want more/less zone pumps, t-stats etc, include the electrician's add/deduct, the drywall guy's patches etc...

...come clean on anticipated changes-estimated add for redesign/rerouting/mat'l/labour is X$X$X$ without giving away enough to getted shopped to the lowball guy...
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    You already Know

The answer. When this system doesn't work right who they gonna' call ? I told you so just won't do. And they will tell anybody who will listen about the "lousy" job you did. It is not only that, I know by your work, you will never be happy installing a job that won't work. Most people who are self employed do so for reasons other than money. Pride. If you have to compromise and do low baller work you might as well save the hassle and work for some one. Then you can compromise and do inferior installs every day. I can tell you , you won't feel good about it. My attitude is terrible when I have to install perfectly good equipment in a stupid application because that is what some one wanted. Save yourself the grief.
  • Jim Walls_2
    Jim Walls_2 Member Posts: 71
    plan & spec

You may want to consider giving them 2 prices, one price for the job as your interpretation of the plans & specs as provided by the owner/arch/engineer. The other as a voluntary alternate to install the system with the corrections you feel are necessary. This is always a tough decision , you do not want to be associated with a job that does not work or is not up to your standards. However , your competition is probably going to bid the job per plans & specs , either they will not recognize the problems , will not care and place blame back on the o/a/e , or go in low and beat them up on change orders. The (large) majority of engineers that I have dealt with are open to suggestions from someone who presents them on a professional level . Good Luck
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    The bid

process should not be confused with the installation process. If this a true plan & spec job then I would not bother with alternate designs, untill I was awarded the job.Why waste your time on concepts and pricing? The concept was already paid for with the engineers. After you get awarded the job I would certainly contact the engineer prior to furnishing submitals to discuss options. Hope fully you can impliment design changes that are better suited for the situation and design some of the costs out of the job. My experience with engineers has been a positive one for the most part. They make errors as much as anyone else and will welcome the opportunity to make changes before the work is installed. After the work is in and they are reviewing chane orders for removing and reinstalling work they have an ego like everyone else that needs to be accounted for.
This discussion has been closed.