Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polaris

Options
One of my regular general contractors wants us to do a small job; heating in 3 rooms (family room, bedroom and dining room). I though about installing a Polaris water heater for combined heating and domestic.

Heating: Turn the Polaris all the way up, double-walled heat exchanger, 3 radiators.

Domestic: Tempering valve set at 120*.

Has anyone ever done this?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=53&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Bill Clinton
    Bill Clinton Member Posts: 75
    Options
    ya cum ta du rite plase

Hell, Allen, I usta be known as da Polaris Kid. What you propose is doable: Don't know if it is a good idea, but it can be done. I'd size the hell out of that double wall and use a commercial polaris with 180 degree thermostat just in case I needed it. Then I'd size the radiators for no more than 140 degrees. Voila monsewer!

Bill
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    You bought so many

of them, they manufactured a "Bill Clinton Edition"; they had it bulge in the middle and called it "extended capacity". :>)

Thanks for the Polaris info.; I'll follow up on it.

All the best,

Alan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dana Zaichkin
    Dana Zaichkin Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Polaris vs Phase III

Greetings Alan - I was wondering why you would choose a Polaris for use as a combi unit vs a Phase III /Triangle Tube direct fired unit? Did you have a bad experience with the HMPG you installed?

Best Regards

Dana
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Might be the long way around

If your radiators require 130 or hotter water to get the output to meet the heat load? It may be better to use a small boiler with an indirect tank for DHW. Running a Polaris above 130 defeats the point of using a condensing sourse, sort of.

I have done a hand full of Polaris with a small flat plate hx. I don't count on much more than 120 degrees at the B side however, with the Polaris cranked to 140 range. Works fine for a small floor warming application, might be a streech for a radiator system however.

There are a number of premade combo units out there Burnham Minuteman, I believe. Teledyne Laars has a couple combo options. Both fit in small spaces. the weak side ids the fairly small DHW capacity.

I am going to try a Slant Fin wall hung Prodigy soon for an application like this. Just depends on the heat and dhw needs.

The boiler approch would handle a radiator temperature better, perhaps.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Dana and hr

Thanks for your input.

Yes, we'd have to forego (sp?) condensing and your probably right about the seconday side of the HX: it would be difficult to get a high enough temperature for the radiators.

And yes, maybe a Triangle Tube, Minuteman or Baxi boiler would be better.

We installed a Minuteman about 15 years ago; must've been 1st generation. It had so many problems, I've never forgotten about it. Burnham came though and sent us another one, air freight - prepaid. I was amazed.

All the best,

Alan

• Dana Zaichkin_2
    Dana Zaichkin_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi Alan

I think you must have installed at least one of every radiant heat source out there - If I recall correctly didn't you even post a photo some time back of a residential reactor being installed?

Had an inspection scheduled this am for framing/plumbing for our "project". I got to the site and the PUD had the power shut down to the area - including the community well. Fortunately, the power was back up in time to get the DWV filled before the inspector arrived.

Best Regards
    Dana
This discussion has been closed.