Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Calling Glenn S (Mark H)

Options
Earthfire
Earthfire Member Posts: 543
Is the hose heating hose or is it a goodyear rubber air water or what ever hose that has no oxyen barrier??? I'd be looking at that hose real hard. Maybe some body was experimenting with material cost?

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

Glenn,

I was at a customers house the other day to look at a problem heating system.

It is staple up radiant and there are NO mixing devices other than the boiler aquastat.

Now the house is 7 years old and he is on his THIRD boiler. The newest one is a Hydro-Therm and the two he had before were Burnham 2 series.

After the second series 2 failed (took 1 heating season) the contractor put a HT in.

The contractor told the HO that the series 2 were recalled due to problem castings.(SURE)

Any chance I could get something in writing stating that there have been no recalls on the series 2?

I explained in GREAT detail about flue gas condensation.

BTW, the contractor used Goodyear hose for the radiant. All of the tubing says Goodyear on it. The HO was told that it was the same as Heatway.

I appreciate any assitance you can give!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Options

The hose is air and water with NO 02 barrier.

This particular contractor was using speed-aire compressor hose for a while and now I see he has changed, at least on this job.

I couldn't tell whether the hose was in any worst shape then when it was installed, but it has only been 7 years.

The contractor said it was no different than Entran 3. Even had spec sheets to prove it.

I asked about the warranty. Would Goodyear honor one if the tubing fails???

I bet not.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Failing

Failing boilers were probable due to oxygen enrichment ,I would suspect.As for matching specs , didn't Goodyear put Heatway under with their quality Product? ( I WON"T BUY any thing Goodyear or Vanguard (Polybutylyn)or other manufacturers that blame installers for their screwups)If the hose still has acceptable flow Consider installing a heat exchanger, toisolate the loops from the ferrious boiler and components.
  • Mark Hunt
    Options

Oxygen was a big player but I think the flue gas condensation was the killer.

I am not doing anything without a disclaimer!

Thanks for the response!!

Mark H

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    That hose may be

Their was a period of time when Goodyear was selling radiant hose when the E- 2 hassle was going on. As I recall they had a booth at the Denver RPA show. I though the jacket was yellow, but I may be wrong.

Many hose companies make general purpose hose. If you get the spec sheets on these products you will find they meet or exceed the requirements for radiant heat in regards to pressure and temperature. However this does not make it a good choice for hydronic applications, in my opinion.

A large mechanical contractor in my area piped an entire school using a Dayco MPH product (multi purpose hose) to connect dozens of air handlers to the 4" steel mains. Running both chilled and hot water. Didn't work out so well regardless of it meeting the engineers spec.

Although I haven't seen it yet, their is a body shop somewhere in my neck of the woods that has a garden hose radiant system! Rumors are it has been running for many years :) I've seen a few PVC radiant jobs in my days also.

hot rod

• Mark Hunt
    Options
    Tubing

> Their was a period of time when Goodyear was

> selling radiant hose when the E- 2 hassle was

> going on. As I recall they had a booth at the

> Denver RPA show. I though the jacket was yellow,

> but I may be wrong.

>

> Many hose companies make

> general purpose hose. If you get the spec sheets

> on these products you will find they meet or

> exceed the requirements for radiant heat in

> regards to pressure and temperature. However

> this does not make it a good choice for hydronic

> applications, in my opinion.

>

> A large

> mechanical contractor in my area piped an entire

> school using a Dayco MPH product (multi purpose

> hose) to connect dozens of air handlers to the 4"

> steel mains. Running both chilled and hot water.

> Didn't work out so well regardless of it meeting

> the engineers spec.

>

> Although I haven't seen

> it yet, their is a body shop somewhere in my neck

> of the woods that has a garden hose radiant

> system! Rumors are it has been running for many

> years :) I've seen a few PVC radiant jobs in my

> days also.

>

> hot rod

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 144&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

• Mark Hunt
    Options
    Tubing

This tubing was red in color. I will have to go back and see if I can get any numbers off of it.

Thanks HR, I was not aware of a Goodyear product aimed at the radiant heating market.

I've never seen PVC pipe for rad systems, but I have seen well pipe!!

Mark H

• Mark

There has never been a recall on any Series 2 boilers. If they failed in this installation, it was either because of thermal shock, failure due to excessive flue gas condensation or failure due to excessive oxygen in the system water or a combination of all of the above.

I got involved last year with a post on this site whereby another system was installed with one of our Series 2 boilers which had radiant and snow melting connected directly to the boiler with no tempering device or heat exchanger. To the best of my knowledge, this system still has not been corrected by the contractor. Sad but true!

Glenn
This discussion has been closed.