Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multiple Steam Boiler Controllers

Options
Our church is considering purchasing multiple steam boilers as a replacement for a 2 steam boilers. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a controller for multiple steam boilers. The controller would take in account the outside temp as well as the heating requests of the 9 zone valves. I am willing to go into a lot more detail if needed.

Thank You

Comments

• canuckDale
    canuckDale Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Well..depends

Some say lead/lag them. But steam boilers with large steam/water areas will condense the steam from the 'on' boiler and fill up the 'off' boilers with condensate. That will dilute the treatment, cause the building operator to drain the excess. Further diluting treatment. Some with little steam/water interface won't do that - they stay hot enough from the live steam to maintain an acceptable water level.

I do it by installing operating and hi/lo pressure-trols on the header that control all of them. Setting the individual boiler controls higher than the header so the contacts are always made and the header controls do all the work.

Yes, they all fire at once. The building operator decides how many boilers are needed at any given time and isolates them accordingly.
  • Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    multiple(?)

By multiple, do you mean modular? There are pros and cons to that. I'm personally con. Using two boilers lead, lag is correct, but then you install "spill" traps on the equalizer, 2"---21/2" above the Pump off level of the boiler feed pump. Then pipe it individually to a boiler feed tank. ( Not a condensate tank ) If there isn't a feed tank, you should consider installing one. Do not tie in any common piping to the boilers except the Steam header. Returns to condensate tank, then to feed tank. That's the way we do'em here. Works like a charm.
    But if you insist on modular, I know that Slant Fin and Hydro Therm can help you. Those controls: I beleive Techmar makes what you are looking for. So does HeatTimer.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Slant/Fin can help you

Give us a call at 1 800 873 4346 and ask about the Caravan system. We have the controller that may help you as well as the boilers.

Here is a link to the system.

http://www.slantfin.com/prod-caravan.html
This discussion has been closed.