Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How come?

Options
Earthfire
Earthfire Member Posts: 543
if the gauge is reading correctly and you have a reasonable amount of water coming out into your catch can thats expansion . but if the water keeps pushing out continuously look for headgasket problems or cylinder wall cracks. Try not filling the rad to the top before you go out on the track. Just cover the top of the rad tubes if your using a top tank rad. if side tank start with the water down a couple of inches below the neck

Comments

• nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Question for Wet heads

This has nothing to do with heating but it has a lot to do with hot water, air and expansion.How do you guys think a expansion tank works on a cars cooling system? It was a discussion we were having at the races as are car was pushing water out while only running 200 deg. with a 21-25 lb. cap. We did put on a new cap and had the same problem. One guy on the crew insits the water from the expansion tank goes back in while the motor is running I say no way canwater from a tank under atmospheric press. push water into a system with 20 lbs. on it.I say the wa5ter from the Exp. tank doesn't go back into the sytem until it cools and the press. drops.The coling system will actually pull vacuum when it cools drawing the water from the Exp. tank into the system. I'm sure you guys can give me some good words . Thanks
  • canuckDale
    canuckDale Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Set Point

What temp is the thermostat rated at? 180*F? 190??

It will open, if functioning properly, at the given set point. Whether the fluid (glycol) fills the tank or sucks back, depends on the operating temp and the stat set point. Motion and engine revs/temp is irrelevant.

And it has everything to do with hydronics!

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    The water

Just flat expands and forces itself to relief somewnere. Thur the cap or thru the rad. something will give. Your correct about the cooling the water goes back in the system as it cools/ Left alone it will find an equal place for the fill to be. good luck! bigugh
  • nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    Options

Thank you all for replying. T-stat is fine, and the rad. level is fine also as it is filled by a small tank which sits on top of the gooseneck. This is a very good motor but for some reason always pushes water. I'm thinking of adding a Spirovent in one of the by pass hose to elimante any air in the system. How much press.is a Sprivent rated for?
This discussion has been closed.