Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can anybody tell me why there is a gas stubb out in

Options
I just moved to Canada from the southern U.S. Several apartments and houses that I lived in Kentucky had gas stub outs in the bathrooms for unvented space heaters. I've seen
wall models and floor models (scary stuff). They were used on cold mornings in the fall and the spring when the hot-water boilers were not lit. Most have been disconected, but one of my elderly aunts still had a decorative unvented floor heater in the master bedroom (in a large and very well kept 1920's house) until four years ago! the heaters were usually decorative with filigree radiant panels and cast iron frames--connected to the wall outlet with flexible copper tubing. I hope I cleared up any mysteries

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    can anybody tell me why

there would be a gas wall sconse stub out in the master bathroom and the wifes personal bathroom of a really big house, not quite a mansion but close,. they are in no other room. not in any of the guest bathrooms either. the owner thought perhaps for odor control, the way candles are used today....but....installed in these bathrooms are the cadillac of toilets that had local vents tied into the chimney drawing a draft from above the waterline. would have been a serious draft when the original coal boiler was used... so any thoughts on why the dead men put a gas sconse on just these two walls???
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    befor electricity

a nite light? ~~~~~~~~~ bigugh
  • Unknown
    Options
    Some of those old 3/8\" lines

still have gas on them. Probably the whole house had them, and they were removed as rooms were refinished. Unfortunately, a lot of live lines were covered over in the walls in the 60's or so. They weren't pretty to hit with a sawzall. Codes cover piping in walls, now. You may have the last ones in the house to remove. I think I would check the main from the meter to the ends of each branch, and disconnect and remove the unused piping. I'd feel better afterwards.

Noel
This discussion has been closed.