Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Michigan tragedy

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
done by a drunk captain behing the wheel of an oil tanker? Certainly an open flame aroung gas, lp, or gasoline in not a good idea. Working around live electric circuits isn't a good idea either. Every energy sourse has potential to cause serious harm. I've seen some wicked sunburns in my days also :)

Learn the safe way to work with all energy, and spread the word.

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Cause still unknown

This happened two days ago. The house was only twenty years old and I'm still tracking the cause:

BANGOR, MI – An explosion in a farmhouse killed three adults and two children in a rural town in western Michigan Sunday afternoon. According to a report in the Kalamazoo Gazette, Lt. Tim Young of the Michigan State Police in nearby Paw Paw said the blast was caused by a “buildup of gas in the basement.” The ignition source was still unknown, Young said. He could not say what kind of gas was involved, although propane tanks were on the property.
    An investigation into the cause of the blast that leveled the 20-year-old home is ongoing.

• Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Sherlock Holms here!

Lessee........propane tanks on the property, gas explosion. Maybe the HO just storrrrred the tanks on his property, and it was a natural gas big bang??? Gimme a break. I don't care who says propane is safe as any other fuel. I wouldn't live anywhere near a propane tank. It's like living in a munitions factory. I have nothing against LP dealers, just that fuel.
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Whoa now, Nellie!!!!

All fuels are dangerous, IF they are not handled properly!!!!!!
    I would not single anyone fuel out as being more dangerous than another!!!
    They are ALL made to go BANG in a controlled envioronment and create HEAT!!!!
    They all are potentially dangerous and we and the people using them have to be
    aware of what can happen if proper care procedures are not followed!!!!!

Be careful with ALL fuels!!!!! They are ALL dangerous!!!!

Floyd
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    ever

see someone throw a lit match into a can of #2 heating oil? If you ever saw someone due that with natural, L.P. or unleaded gas you would not be around to talk about it. Gas certainly has its benifits, safety is not one of them.
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    But ...

All fuels are safe if properly handled and proper piping practices are observed. That's a given. The difference in fuels becomes apparent in worst case scenarios. (think leaks here) LP being heavier than air does not dissipate like it's natural gas cousin. Fuel oil has a much higher vapor point as well as flash point. So to my backcountry hick type mind that makes LP the most dangerous fuel when that worst case happens.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Gas

Well ,you don't hear of too many oil burner exploding, but,What I like about gas is most of it comes from right hear in the U.S.A. Kinda makes you wonder why it is so $$$
  • Bob W._2
    Bob W._2 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Correct...

There have been cases where LP leaks away from the home have followed the loose soil in the trench for the LP line and/or the waste line and entered the home, slowly building from the floor drain up to the ignition source. Not a good deal and not easily detectable by the occupants before the tragedy. That Michigan explosion was the 1st night the family spent in the house; the paper said they were going to be hired hands. Some job.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Update

The cause has been narrowed down but still no definitive answer. Here is the link:

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news-2/103227602991221.xml
This discussion has been closed.