Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ignition retrofit?

Options
leave the pilot alone. It really does not cost that much. Most pilots are less than 1 cubic foot of gas per hour. It is doing your furnace and boiler more good than harm if it is in a damp basement. Most retrofit kits run about $400 retail and then the labor for a professional to put it in. It should only be done by a professional gas technician. If you still insist on doing it I would suggest the Honeywell Y8610U retrofit kit. Think about the return on your investment after installation the pay back is about 35 years.

Comments

• Randy_3
    Randy_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Boiler Ignition retrofit

I have a residential boiler with a standing pilot. It costs quite a bit to run this pilot continuously. I was wondering if there were an electronic ignition retrofit of some sort to replace the standing pilot. Thanks for your help.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    RE-DO

All the control manufacturing co.s make retro fit kits. Your local supplier & or contractor should be able to help you there. Get the most popular in your area, as parts, and service are nearby. Good luck, bigugh
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    electronic ignition

Can be a good thing on a furnace that installed in a attic
    with ac.I have seen many of hx rust out before there time with a pilot light.The heat on one side and the cool air on the other,put's out a lot of condensate.Always opt for a electronic ignition when installing a furnace/ac in humid area.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    You can get just an ignition system for the standing pilot!

The system stays the same as is now. However if the pilot light goes out a electric spark will try to light it. if it stays out long enough for the Thermocouple to safety out You'd have to then push in the safety plunger, but no match would be needed. If your system is propane be very careful with this type of idea. anyway bigugh
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
  • Moisture no matter what...

it has been my experience that whether you have a standing pilot or electric ignition and you have an AC coil near the heat exchanger you get a moisture problem that shortens the life of HX. Time will tell as to whether long term EI will save HX's.
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    yep

I agree,moisture is always a issue,was not trying to imply that it was a complete fix to the problem, but its does help.The only true fix to this problem when it come to a gas furnace is the stainless steel tubular hx,I have had great success so far.
This discussion has been closed.