Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hey Dan I Need Some Help

Options
we are in the middle of changing out a residedtial steam boiler in a old victorian 2 story home after sizing all the radiators we have gone from a 375,000btu to a 210,000 btu output the problem is the old boiler had 2 supply 2inch tappings the smaller boiler has only 1 2inch supply tap will this present a problem with the steam and condensate return on this one pipe gravity system or do we need to stay with the 2 - 2inch supply taps.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Hi, David

An outdoor boiler in heating country (below freezing weather) with domestic water heating built in is a tall order.

I have seen copper tube boilers outdoors, with constant circulation, feeding domestic storage tanks indoors, but the heat was a separate system.

How do you intend to prevent freezing in the piping to the domestic heater when there is no demand (no flow)?

Noel
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    I'll check

to the group on that one.
    Retired and loving it.
  • chris smith_2
    chris smith_2 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    boiler

dave,
    can you get her to do a luna http://www.unitedenergy.ca/brochures/baxi_luna.pdf if you can't get thease boiler there are others hope this helps

chris smith

porter maine
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Outdoor Boiler

David
    If the shed is protected take a look at the NTI "Legacy".It has a coil as well as a modulating burner.Check them out at www.nythermal.com

Good Luck
    Brian
  • Unknown
    Options
    The piping

Look at the book that came with the boiler. The book will have a diagram that shows EXACTLY what your piping should look like. This piping has the MOST influence on how much it costs to run the system. If you follow the piping instructions, and the system is in working condition, you will send out dry steam and the water that leaves the boiler with the steam will fall down the equalizer. Clean water is important, as is pipe insulation; good, properly sized air vents that work; water line height in the boiler room; and clean returns from the system.

Look at this picture for what wet steam does to the system. This is piped right, but has dirty water in it. The other pictures are with clean water.

Noel
  • John (jcg)
    John (jcg) Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Why not

I would Antifreeze the system to prevent freezing with a plate heat exchanger for DHW. If you mount the heat exchanger inside you won't have to worry about it. You can use a booster tank with a bronze circulator for increased capacity.

jcg
This discussion has been closed.