Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

making the case

keith
keith Member Posts: 224
the case for a gas fired domestic hot water project for a dormitory. You guys know were I can find a efficiency formula for a oil to gas conversion? They currently fire a cleaver brooks oil fired boiler to provide domestic hot water thru a heat exchanger which feeds (2) 1500 gallon storage tanks. I am proposing to install a condensing gas fired copper finned boiler with (4)250 gallon storage tanks and a mixing valve. Thanks for the input

Comments

• Show them this, Keith.

The number of units needed, would be determined by max flow you would expect.

Please let me know if I can help.

Brian (tankless) Wood.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Are you looking just for values...

If so the Burnham heating helper is just the ticket. Hope this helps...kpc
  • Maybe this

is what you could sell them on.

The Takagi T-M1 "Mobius" is a modulating tankless water heater. Up to 20 of these 25-235,000btu units can be parallel manifolded and controlled by one TM-RE20 processor. Variable from 95 thru 176F.

I don't know how big the dorms are, or how many showers are needed at one time, but twenty of these are capable of up to 192 gpm at 40F temp rise, or 140gpm at 55F rise.

Do you have 4,700,000btu's handy. Offhand, I don't know what size gas line that is, but it's pretty big :)

You could make the case for this setup with the savings from minimal standing losses (no storage needed).

If you need more info or pricing, please contact me by e-mail or phone.

I'll try attaching a pic of some manifolded units, but I haven't had much luck on the new board.

Let's try.

Brian (Tankless) Wood. (337) 430 4649.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    brainstorming again!

The place ment of a fuel oil meter in the system could give you the information you want. The new system is easy to calculate, but I think your asking ,"What is the original system is doing?" Some how meter the system while it is not heating anything other than shower water over a period of time. Then just calculaate it out. that is my best guess, bigugh
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    how about

multipling the Hot water used x the btus to raise it from 55 degrees to 140 degrees? Take the btu and divide that by 140,000 for a gallon of oil.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    That is a biginning!

However , as I see it the existing boiler may well be for space heating also. In that case perhaps the efficientcie may well be out of step with a small load. and therefore an excuse for a new domestic system. Other than that you are correct. but then you are still just comparing gas with oil and that has its own outcome. Knowing the efficentcie of the existing boiler measured some way compared to use, may just sell the new system ( or cook its goose). bigugh
This discussion has been closed.