Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam kettles

Options
i have two 20 gal steam kettles that are run off a central boiler on a collage campus, that we want to install its own boiler. we want only to maintain 175 to 200 drg., can not get anyone to tell me what size boiler i need. will have 60 foot run from boiler to kettles. exsisting supply is 3/4 and return is 1/2 to mian line. i have been told that i need half a million btu boiler.? A 30 min heat up time would be ok! just need to maintain 175

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Are you putting in a high-pressure boiler?

That 3/4" supply line isn't going to work with a low-pressure boiler.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Kevinj
    Kevinj Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Steam Kettle

You should be able to get the pounds per hour and pressure from the manufacturer and size piping and boilers as needed. The only kettles I have done required small amounts of steam due to the small steam space around the kettle. It has been a while but it seems that the kettle run around 10 psi. You obviosly must stay within the design limits of the shell.
  • Kevinj
    Kevinj Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Steam Kettle

You should be able to get the pounds per hour and pressure from the manufacturer and size piping and boilers as needed. The only kettles I have done required small amounts of steam due to the small steam space around the kettle. It has been a while but it seems that the kettle I done run around 10 psi. You obviously must stay within the design limits of the shell. The existing, supply pressure, relief, name plate, and traps may give an indication of needs.
This discussion has been closed.