Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ex-Racers need Radiant

Options
We are members of REGAP of Illinois (REtired Greyhounds As Pets), a nonprofit organization dedicated to rescuing ex-racing Greyhounds for placement in loving homes as pets. Once the dog is deemed unprofitable or unusable the owner will have it destroyed, often at an early age. The lifespan of the breed is typically 12-14 years, but the racing career ends by age 5 or earlier.

Presently we are constructing a new kennel facility in Mendota, IL, to include twelve outdoor 4' x 12' fenced dog runs on a concrete slab. We believe that radiant heating of the slab would provide a safe winter exercise area and be most economical in the long run.

Since our organization relies primarily on donations and fees, the majority of the work will be done by volunteers. We would greatly appreciate any assistance in gathering information to help us plan and build this project. Are there books or other resources that would help us do this right? References for mixing the concrete in proper proportion? We want the surface to be safe for the dogs and durable in the variable Illinois climate.

Thank you so much for any guidance you can provide.
Ron (Hizzy) Domkowski
Elmwood Park, IL

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I'll help!!

Contact me and I'll help you design a system for free. A friend of ours had a Greyhound for a pet. His name was Velcro. I asked him why he named him Velcro, and he said "You'll find out soon enough..." When I got up to walk int another room, the dog came to my side at heel, and stuck there like Velcro.

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Man's best friend

I have a soft spot for dogs. I donate time and materials to our local shelter radiant system. Generally you can find a manufacture, rep, and or supplier to help out with a design, installation, and material "deals". Check the find a contractor button here at this site, the www.rpa-info.com and call local supply houses for help.

Here is a post that appeared on this site a year or so ago that is important, written by JJ McGough.

"In the proper design of habitat for 'restricted' animals it is extremely important that the designer provide at least two extremes for the beasts. Humans reduce our inner core temperature via a fairly even 'transpiration' from body surface to cooler surfaces. Most hair laden creatures rely on expiration to modulate their body core temperature."

"It is very important to provide a 'zone' for the animals to inhale a considerably cooler sourse of air to help them modulate body temperature and maintain metabolism conductive to that God gave him."

"Animals who regulate their internal temperature via transpiration/ respiration need a fairly wide enviromental stratification within their enviroment considering both conductive temperature of the surfaces they contact and the specfic density/ temperature of the air which they breath."

Simply put make sure you don't install radiant heat in the entire surface to allow cool spots for the dogs. This is VERY important for indoor kennel spaces, I have learned first hand, but would apply to your outdoor slabs also.

Let me know if you need further assistance I have some pretty good industry connections in that area that would be glad to help :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.