Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

staple up installation

Options
I have a question regarding tube lenght in a staple up job.This is my first one,the easy part is its my house.My average room size is 12by12 or so.In that size an area,would it be best to tube it with one long piece or two shorter pieces. I know I would get more heat with two pieces,but is it worth the effort? The floor is three quater inch tounge n groove nailed right to the joist. Iwas thinking about fabricating some heat transfer plates that would also hold the tubing up against the underside of the floor. Something like 040 aluminum bent into a 90 v trough then 45s to have a surface to screw to the wood.I dont know just thinking. Anyhow any input would be great help.

Comments

• Paul Bock
    Paul Bock Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Buy heat transfer plates

Your time is worth somthing. we have a computer automated brake at our shop and we can't pump them out economically, plus they don't have the right shape, and you get poor heat transfer if you don't put caulking in every one. our shop foreman gave up on them about 200 plates into a 600 plate job, because it was too labor intensive even with the auto brake.

good luck, Paul
  • moose5
    moose5 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Heat Transfer Plates

If time is no object you can bend your own plates. Fasten two boards on a third board. The distance between the two boards should be equal to the OD of your tubing plus twice the thickness of the AL. Fasten a piece of PEX to a 2x4 and press your AL sheets into the slot formed between the two boards. If my directions are too confusing, contact Radiant Floor Company in Barton, Vt. 1-866-927-6863. They sell the fixture and the aluminum. If you buy enough aluminum sheets, they will give you a fixture.
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Staple up,

We did a job earlier this year using Stadler Heat transfer plates from underneath . They are flat topped kind of "T" looking plates. 6 screws per plate . They were very easy to install and did a fine job of holding the tubing (1/2 inch/14 MM) in place with the heat transfer silicone .
    I didn't think they were excessively expensive , especially when your putting up a couple hundred of them .Two runs in each joist bay , centered. It's lots of work , but well worth the effort .
    We were originally going to lay climate panels , but the contractor built the floor too high, and this was the best alternative . As far as the lenth of runs , check with the manufacturer . They differ from size to size and they have had lots of time to figure this out . Why guess ? They can tell you . Best of luck . Chris
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Loop Length

> I have a question regarding tube lenght in a

> staple up job.This is my first one,the easy part

> is its my house.My average room size is 12by12 or

> so.In that size an area,would it be best to tube

> it with one long piece or two shorter pieces. I

> know I would get more heat with two pieces,but is

> it worth the effort? The floor is three quater

> inch tounge n groove nailed right to the joist.

> Iwas thinking about fabricating some heat

> transfer plates that would also hold the tubing

> up against the underside of the floor. Something

> like 040 aluminum bent into a 90 v trough then

> 45s to have a surface to screw to the wood.I dont

> know just thinking. Anyhow any input would be

> great help.

• Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Loop Length

Hi Mike
    In a 12x12 room you will use 200-250 ft. of pipe which will be fine for 1 loop of 1/2" tubing.

Good Luck
    Brian
  • rick_2
    rick_2 Member Posts: 7
    Options

get a heat loss done first ask for 3/8 same btu as 1/2 in 200'loop not as hard to work with. also wirsbo makes new heat emmison single grove plate awsom product.like one giant clik it.
This discussion has been closed.