Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A thought for the day - Dan H.

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
and looking out the window at my neighbor's house. Her back steps are only about 12 feet away. Marian died three days ago. She was 86 years old. She was a nice old lady, and except for the time when she nearly burned down her house after falling asleep with a cigarette, she hardly gave anyone any trouble. She had a Jamacian lady living with her for the past year because her daughter, a woman in her sixties, went off to live with her own daughter.

They buried her this morning. Right now, there are a half-dozen kids running around outside. There are also a lot of grown men and women coming and going. Everyone's laughing and having a good time. In the 25 years that I've been looking out this window, I've never seen any of them before.

They've finally come to visit Marian.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    I wonder

I wonder how it was for the victums of 9/11? Did all the old so-called friends show up when they were found missing, or perhaps only those who may benefit from the passing? Its amasing how this world works. Greed has many bed fellows. Even some are related. anyway bigugh
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    A thought

Is it the fear of our own passing that brings us to a funeral of someone we haven't seen in ages?

al
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Time

It strikes like a thief in the night.As humans we become involved with important things.We scurry to and fro never smelling the roses.Not listening to what life tries to tell us.Tragedy strikes.It humbles most.And with that and many other feelings we as humans relate to what life tries to teach us.Its funny.Its not always greed.But famalies who try to protect their own piece of the planet.This is waht occupies their time.And somewhere some of the roses get neglected.

cheese
  • Jay C.
    Jay C. Member Posts: 5
    Options
    You have to make the time.

While you still can. I found that out the hard way this year. I buried my old man three weeks ago. He had'nt missed a day of work (6-7 days a week) or even been to a doctor in probably 20 years. He fell out at work in early May and was gone 3 months later. He was 62 years old.

My brother and I spent every free moment we had taking care of him and spending as much time with him as we could. But it still does'nt make up for all the lost time we SHOULD have spent with each other. The three of us were allways to busy working, like father like son I guess. Do yourself a favor and MAKE the time.

Peace,
    Jay C
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Jay

Sorry to hear of your loss. Good points.

Harry Chapin song?

Dan, did you whisper to the neighbors, one at a time of course, about the money she hid in her back yard in jars???

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I should have thought of that

Nuts!

Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Jay

Sorry for your loss. You're so right about the time. You have to schedule it. It's important.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Heh, heh.....

Best said whilst leaning on a shovel! "Don't worry about a thing, I'll look out for the place tonight - no worries mate!"

Funny thing families. Here Mike & I were slated to go to Philmont Ranch next year for the hike of a lifetime. 10,000 ft elevations+. Just the two of us and a group of Scouts for 10 days creating a lifetime of memories and it's our one chance to do this.

Dad and his two sisters (all in the 80+ category), together with all spouses , children and grandchildren decided to schedule a family reunion blowout - during the same time period. Likelyhood of all parties surviving till the next one? Slim & next to none - so - hike canceled - family comes first. Pictures of Philmont will suffice, pictures of family are just that - pictures.

Our hike will now be the 27 miles of isolated beach that is Assateague Island while Mike and I hike in with cousin Ed whose ambition is to climb Mt. Everest. He's tackling twelve peaks this year - all above 12,000 ft. Lives close to Red Rocks. Sure hope he can keep up with this over 50 over weight character!

Anticipated revelers will top 100! Memories to span several generations will be created(G).

Here's a funny thing. When we were growing up, Dad the CPA would work almost non-stop during income tax season. Almost seemed like we didn't have a father during those three long months. The three of us vowed never to become CPA's and be slaves to our jobs. Yeah, right - I'm on call 24/7/365 & my brothers both have jobs that are demanding of their time! Like you said Jay, like father, like son!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    Philmont Ranch

Dave,

I did the "Wagon Train" trip @ Philmont when I was 14. Grew out of my clothes while I was there. It sure was (and still is in my memory) one of the best times of my life. Only 52 years ago, seems like last week.

al
  • leo g_8
    leo g_8 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    yes jay

so very true! i was getting the willies over this, badly, just a few short months ago. Suddenly, a very good friend and competitor became available. We are now parteners. I now know my boys names and what they look like, and have again discovered just how beautiful (internally as well as externally), my wife really is!!!!

There will always be another client wanting something sometime, but there will only be one time the boys will be boys.

leo g
  • Brian (Tankless) Wood
    Options
    Buffy Saint Marie 1970

Sometimes when I get to thinking about you
    And all the things that we've never said
    to each other, it seems such a shame to go blue
    When there's so many years to lie silent and dead.

I hope those latecomers at least had nice things to say about Marian.

Eleanor Rigby, died in the church and was buried along with her name.

Nobody came.

Very, very sad.

Thank you, Dan. Because of you writing and telling the world about Marian, the way John wrote about Eleanor, they didn't go off to heaven alone, thinking their life had meant nothing.

Hug everyone you love, smile at, and shake the hand of someone you don't like, and ask them how they are. See the surprise and the softening in their eyes.

My day's off to a good start, thanks again, Dan.

Y'all take care out there.

Brian.
This discussion has been closed.