Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

propane vs, oil

Options
Bill_2
Bill_2 Member Posts: 5
Hello, I'm a builder living near Seattle begining my own home. The home will be 2700 sq.ft., one level, concrete floors, and radiant heated. This is my first project using a radiant system so I'm doing alot of research. This website is great! Gas is not available in our area, only oil and propane. In the past, oil seemed to be the fuel of choice for radiant systems. I recently have talked with two radiant contractors who advocate propane- one a Buderus and the other a Munchkin. What to do... oil vs. propane?
The Munchkin seems interesting.
Thanks for any input

Comments

• Bill_2
    Options
    propane vs. oil

Hello, I'm a builder living near Seattle begining my own home. The home will be 2700 sq.ft., one level, concrete floors, and radiant heated. This is my first project using a radiant system so I'm doing alot of research. This website is great! Gas is not available in our area, only oil and propane. In the past, oil seemed to be the fuel of choice for radiant systems. I recently have talked with two radiant contractors who advocate propane- one a Buderus and the other a Munchkin. What to do... oil vs. propane?
    The Munchkin seems interesting.

Thanks for any input, Bill
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    With low temperature radiant............

I would opt for propane. I have two radiant projects that will both have modulating burner, condensing propane fired boilers. Both could have gone oil, but the advantages of propane made it the ideal fuel choice. Condensing technology would be a great selection with a low temperature radiant system of 140° or less.

Warm Regards,

heatboy

"Expert in Silent Warmth"™

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• chris smith
    chris smith Member Posts: 39
    Options
    fuel

here in new england oil at $1.05 a gallon and 140,000 btu's per gallon is a lot cheaper than propane at $1.55 a gallon and 93,000 btu's per gallon th at said there are other advantages to propane 98% of what we use comes from canada mexico or right here usa thus your not sending usama any of your hard earned dollars, also as noted by previos post condensing gas boiler technology has come along way, so what i'm saying is check local pricing on fuels i've been told here in the north east we have the highest propane rates in the country, and also how your buyer feels about imported oil and go from there

chris smith
    porter maine
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Options
    I agree with the others and ...............

also have found that in our area, (Alaska)propane does not always work good. A quick explaination is, your gas turns to liquid the colder it gets, and doesn't flow to where you want it. You will not have that same problem in the Seattle area.
    With 30% less but's/gal. and price being higher on propane, you can count on propane costing at least 50% more to operate than oil, almost anywhere....BUT its cleaner, and all that the others have said.
    Steve
    Steve
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Depends on location

In my area today, LP is $.79.9. I prebuy about this time every year which locks me in at that price thru the winter. Not much oil around here $1.09.9 todays price for #2.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Larry_7
    Larry_7 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I would opt for LP

Different suppliers offer different pricing. Shop for prices. LP is a cut-throat business and unregulated. Many suppliers will offer very competitive prices but want to lock you in to a long contract. Also you may find better prices by installing non-seasonal equipment such as a water heater, dryer,range,etc so they don't have to eat baloney all summer. Depending on electric rates LP is probably more economical for dryers and water heaters. Also, if there is any chance Nat. gas may come your way, your equipment, except the water heater, can be converted over.

Larry
  • hr
    Options
    Good points Larry

The smart folks around here buy their own tanks 500 or 1000 gallon. This allows you to shop and not be tied into a tank rental or lease that can only be filled by the company that owns the tank. In the last 7 years LP has been as low as 59.9 to a all time high of 1.49.9 when fuel oil and gas was real high.

My neighbor works for the school district and got in on a special employee deal for 35.9 two summers ago. Apparently the local jobber that supplies the district over bought for a mild winter and had to pay storage fees at the bulk plant or get rid of a bunch quickly.

I agree it's kind of a racket considering LP used to be burned off as a waste to the crude oil "cracking process"

hot rod

• Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    I feel this way..............

> The smart folks around here buy their own tanks

> 500 or 1000 gallon. This allows you to shop and

> not be tied into a tank rental or lease that can

> only be filled by the company that owns the tank.

> In the last 7 years LP has been as low as 59.9 to

> a all time high of 1.49.9 when fuel oil and gas

> was real high.

>

> My neighbor works for the

> school district and got in on a special employee

> deal for 35.9 two summers ago. Apparently the

> local jobber that supplies the district over

> bought for a mild winter and had to pay storage

> fees at the bulk plant or get rid of a bunch

> quickly.

>

> I agree it's kind of a racket

> considering LP used to be burned off as a waste

> to the crude oil "cracking process"

>

> hot

> rod

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 144&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

• Dana Zaichkin_2
    Dana Zaichkin_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Other considerations

Are you planning to install other appliances - fireplace, range, dryer, etc that would run on gas? If so, it would seem duplicative to add oil (and its storage & supply piping) as the third energy source. Also, the long-term liability of in-ground oil tanks has become a bit thorney in the northwest.

Best Regards
    DZ
  • Bill_2
    Options
    Thanks

for the response. I will be using propane for the cooktop and, if used for the boiler fuel, installing a 500 gal. underground tank. The hot water will be indirect and the dryer is electric. I have never personally utilized oil or propane so I don't follow the prices and their fluctuations. It does seem like filling a large tank when the price is right is the best choice. I like the concept of the Munchkin boiler but I'm reading new info (on this site) that talks of a new Vieesman boiler that will compete with Munchkin, or is the Viessman in a class all alone?

Thanks, Bill
  • Bill_2
    Options
    Thanks

for the response. I will be using propane for the cooktop and, if used for the boiler fuel, installing a 500 gal. underground tank. The hot water will be indirect and the dryer is electric. I have never personally utilized oil or propane so I don't follow the prices and their fluctuations. It does seem like filling a large tank when the price is right is the best choice. I like the concept of the Munchkin boiler but I'm reading new info (on this site) that talks of a new Viessmann boiler that will compete with Munchkin, or is the Viessmann in a class all alone?

Thanks, Bill
  • plumb grumpy
    plumb grumpy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    oil vrs propane

Go with propane. the btu output looks better with oil, but having lived in homes with both (current home oil) propane is lower maintance, as an oil burner requres a yearly cleaning and combustion check, oil tank filter, ect. There is a noise factor also from the blower. That boiler that I replaced downstairs this year was 50 years old and still going though, yes the new one is oil also.
  • John (jcg)
    John (jcg) Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Cost per Thousand BTU's

90 / 0.799 = 113/KBTU Propane
    140 / 1.099 = 127/KBTU Oil

The difference is 12% can you make up that much in efficiency.
  • hr
    Options
    What is the efficiency

of an oil fired cook top or oil fired cloths dryer? Oh, you run those on $.25/kwh electricity. Generated by a 33% efficient coal fired power plant:)

Coal plants the pres just relaxed the emmissions on to assure plenty of Kws and respiratory problems for the population.

Pretty easy to find that 12% difference.

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.