Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hey Timmie MC E....EI problem

Options
Boilerpro
Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
Slightly long story. Have a three month old RBI boiler 735,000 input,atmospheric, Propane on a job from hell (learned the need to prequalify my clients on this one). UT ignition, one five minute retry with continuous pilot. Had only 23 hours notice to get boiler going and then no time to check everything. It appears that there was a gas leak at the compression fitting going into the pilot burner and another contractor said he saw the pilot burning upside down.... they have huge exhaust fans in the facility and the boiler room was not yet enclosed and no air intake installed for the first month of operation. I got the second boiler running and it was the main boiler in use until its pump went down about two weeks ago. Prior to then the manifold pressure on the RBI was running low(about 7 inches) . Then they bumped up the supply pressure the first time and manifold pressure was about 9, supposed to be ten, and supply about 12 firing and 13.5 off The last two weeks they have been coming in in the morning and the ignition module has shutdown the boiler, they hit the reset and it fires up... most of the time. Last week they finally got the gas pressure reasonable ( 14 inches at boiler with it off and 13.5 when firing), but boiler was still shutting down. Manifold gas prssure slightly over spec, about 10.3 isntead of 10. Went out and found the cable burned at the boot and about .2 ohm resistance....Replaced cable with new .03 ohm resistance. Check the ignitor and had high resistance and covered with deposits (they drywalled the boiler room with the equipment running). Cleaned ignitor and resistance dropped to near zero. REinstalled it, got spark and immediate response to pilot flame detected. Got a call a few days later that the problem persists (I don't necessarily trust all the info I am recieving over the phone). My thought is that the flame from the leaking connection impingeing of the ceramic end of the ignitor may have damaged the ignitor, but for some reason didn't show up when I checked resistance. Was wondering what you think? Thanks for all your help and I recieved the manuals for standing pilots....plan to read them soon and hopefully become a much better gas train tech.

Boilerpro

Comments

This discussion has been closed.