Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Dunkirk ripout

Options
An 8 section , 4 zone , including a Phase 3 indirect . Thats my partner David stripping it down .

Comments

• In sections

We drop em on the floor on both sides to clean them . Theyre real light when broken down . We got help from our other partner Paul later on . He threw all 8 of them out a basement window himself .
  • WBV 4

If we had the time , we would have repiped the domestic going to the indirect . It got a little involved with the 2 split returns - 6 return pipes in total.

We just started using the Taco controls - I like the lights on the outside . But having more than 2 BX wire holes on top of the control , like Argo , would neaten the wiring a bit .
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    fittings...

I love the old style 1x3/4x3/4 Y tees used on split loops. I see them every now and again. Are they still avail? Where did you get the 11/4" black cross tees. I have always wanted to use them on my headers but couldn't find them. From the looks of the old one you had been nursing it along. Looks funny seeing a riello on such an old boiler.Boy were they small/thin sections! Good clean work as usual Ron!.kpc
  • I havent seen those

Y tees with the butterfly valves brand new . We take em out all the time corroded over or frozen in place . The 1 1/4 inch cross tees come in handy for multiple zone jobs . I will find out who makes em and where we get them from . Than you Kevin .
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Wyes

I don't know about the purge or butterfly type, but the 1 x 3/4 x 3/4 true wye or 90° wye are still available. About $18 or more though, ouch. I got a picture today of a job an old timer did with wyes. I'll try and scan it. The 1-1/4" crosses are not that uncommon. A good supply house should be able to get them.
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Wyes

I don't know about the purge or butterfly type, but the 1 x 3/4 x 3/4 true wye or 90° wye are still available. About $18 or more though, ouch. I got a picture today of a job an old timer did with wyes. I'll try and scan it. The 1-1/4" crosses are not that uncommon. A good supply house should be able to get them.
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
    Options
    How do you eliminate air?

> I love the old style 1x3/4x3/4 Y tees used on

> split loops. I see them every now and again. Are

> they still avail? Where did you get the 11/4"

> black cross tees. I have always wanted to use

> them on my headers but couldn't find them. From

> the looks of the old one you had been nursing it

> along. Looks funny seeing a riello on such an old

> boiler.Boy were they small/thin sections! Good

> clean work as usual Ron!.kpc

• Right through the

air elimination tapping . We do not use any added air elimination device . Back in the past , a heating system with a compression expansion tank , and circs on the return piping , made it hard to get and keep all the air out . On the newer systems with a diaphragm tank , and pumping away from the point of no pressure change , and a good purge at over 20 psi , air elimination isnt a problem .
  • JIM F.
    JIM F. Member Posts: 82
    Options
    shut offs

code in ct. is strick about shut off valves on the supply and return to boiler. they also want shut offs before the backflow and after the feeder. low water cutoffs are also becoming strict when you have indirect water heaters, baseboard below the boiler or radient below the boiler.
    im curious what part of the country you live in?
    jim f.
    milford, ct
  • That would be Long Island

Ive been hearing that it might become code here to have a LWCO on every boiler . As far as the shutoffs for everything you said - theres no code for it , its up to the salesman to sell a valve package . I didnt set up the header on this one , but on most jobs we install a shutoff on the supply side of a monoflow zone , even if the valve package isnt sold .
This discussion has been closed.