Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy New Boiler

Gents,
We are an 18 unit condominium building with a two pipe steam
heating system. The old boiler gave out two years ago and we replaced it with an 8 section Burnham wet base boiler and a powerflame dual fuelburner.

The resident above the boiler room complained that the new boiler made much more noise than the previous one.

We hired a sound engineer who took measurements. We then erected a suspended ceiling and isolation wall. We installed a blanket in the refractory and back draft damper, downfired the boiler.

New measurements were taken that showed 25% reduction in noise but the resident is still not satisfied.

We have heard of installing a muffler on the flue. Do you
recommend doing this? and who is (are) the manufacturers?

Thank you,

Jim

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Noise

> Gents, We are an 18 unit condominium building

> with a two pipe steam heating system. The old

> boiler gave out two years ago and we replaced it

> with an 8 section Burnham wet base boiler and a

> powerflame dual fuelburner.

>

> The resident above

> the boiler room complained that the new boiler

> made much more noise than the previous one.

>

> We

> hired a sound engineer who took measurements. We

> then erected a suspended ceiling and isolation

> wall. We installed a blanket in the refractory

> and back draft damper, downfired the

> boiler.

>

> New measurements were taken that

> showed 25% reduction in noise but the resident is

> still not satisfied.

>

> We have heard of

> installing a muffler on the flue. Do

> you recommend doing this? and who is (are) the

> manufacturers?

>

> Thank you,

>

> Jim

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    noise

Sound like to me you guys have gone above and beyond for this lady.Maybe cheaper to offer her a condominium further
    away from the boiler room.No then she will complain she no longer has warm floors.Blah,blah,blah.Good Luck!
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Loud Burner

Sounds like you have done more than I would.If old burner was running @1725rpm motor and new one is 3450rpm you will get more sound of air,burners use alot of air.I once had to put a 12" plug instead of damper in a flue pipe to keep the nuns in a convent happy! Noise went away along with some efficiency. P.S. Boiler was a 9 section Burnham. Hope this helps
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    noise

Where exactly is the noise coming from? Chimney noise or burner noise? Altho this is not my original idea I have heard of filling up the chimney base with sand as a way to reduce noise. It will reduce the echo of exhaust in the chimney so I have been told. Let us know your final solution.
  • Jim N.
    Jim N. Member Posts: 8

How does the flue run. If it runs thru a chase adjacent to the subject unit, did you check for openings event tiny ones. Sound can be transmitted thru any opening. Seal the chase and apply sound proofing and I bet you will help your problem. I have seen several noisy boilers where this helps. Installing a class A flue in place of Type B will help in gas fired systems. Uncertain if you are gas fired or oil.
This discussion has been closed.