Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello Burner

Options
Cosmo
Cosmo Member Posts: 159
Is there a kit to provide the 40series (F-3) burners with direct combustion air from outside like all the American burners? I have heard of just cutting into the cover and sealing the factory intake, the factory rep. says this voids the warranty.....and I don't want to do a "shoemaker" of it anyway. Any experience out there?
Thanks in advance'
Casmo

Comments

• John (jcg)
    John (jcg) Member Posts: 43
    Options
    We did it all the time

I don't understand how it could void the warranty as I was shown how to do it at the Riello School. I do know that they want the air to enter on the pump side to give the air a better chance to warm up before hitting the burner intake.

jcg
  • Sounds like you have the burner already ?

Riello makes a BF3 , sealed for outside combustion air - 3 inch hole . I have seen some F series with duct going close to the air intake , but no special hookup for it .
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Yes, existing job

I just installed, I noticed when I went back to do some extra work that they are storing paint cans in the mechanical room. When I questioned it the customer said that they have stored paints in there for 30years and nothing happened...in other words they don't care (until it is too late). I always install boilers nowadays up on a concrete pedestal to maintain the 18" from the air inlet to the floor, but so I don't have to think about it I want to seal the combustion air source. Anyway this is nothing new to you guys, I just mentioned cutting the cover 'to add the duct' to the tech. service guy at the riello 1-800# and he told me that if I did that it would void the warranty of the whole burner. Too bad Tjernlund doesn't make a kit for this burner. The BF-3...isn't that the burner for the direct- vent application? I guess I have to ask if using that cover on a standard F-3 burner would still void the warranty? Thanks Ron Jr..............
    Sorry for being long winded!
    Casmo
  • I had the BF3 on my boiler for a while

I never hooked up the fresh air intake though . The whole cover is different from the regular burners - Its got the 3 inch hole in the top , and the oil lines come out of the top too . Otherwise , everything else is the same . Hey , if you have enough room between the boiler and burner , maybe you can get a duct guy to make a transition piece from the Riello intake louvres to a round hole for a fresh air hookup ? It might be a little tricky since the louvres are on both sides of the blast tube . But it might be alot cheaper than buying the BF cover or a whole BF burner . Good luck Casmo
  • kf_2
    kf_2 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Riello

Casmos,

Even just bring the air intake to the F-3 burner will not eliminate the possiblity of drawing in paint fumes. The F-3 is not a gasketed, sealed burner. The BF-3 however, is a completely sealed and gasketed box.

kf
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    some people...

It just doesn't figure. You try to help out for their own safety and what do you get.A dirty look like you don't know anything.
    I also went to a previous install, on a direct vent oil burner. It was an electric conversoin so the boiler was in a converted drive under garage. The people were storing the lawn mower right in front of the burner. Six inches from the vacuum relief damper on the intake!I had them move it out. I hope you are not doing this pro bono.Although if something were to happen you know who they would come after.
    Does documenting help out in a situation where you could be at risk in covering your self? kpc
This discussion has been closed.