Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rigging boiler sections.

Dave_17
Dave_17 Member Posts: 5
I visited the mailroom with this question. Now I am throwing it out to the experts now that I can get on the wall. For years we have been moving large boiler sections with the grunt method. Is there a dolly or some lifting equipment that allows moving the larger sections without injuring someone? Often we need to move them a long ways to the boiler room from point of delivery. Also getting them into a basement boile room with limited access is at times challanging. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Dave F.

Comments

• We use a good , 1200 lb . max handtruck

The one that has the outriggers built in so you can rest it on 4 wheels if needed . The biggest boiler we install would be the Weil Mclain 88 series , and the handtruck can move those sections pretty good . How big are these boilers youre moving ? This is a pic of my partner Brian with a pretty big section on that handtruck - with the riggers down .
  • Dave_17
    Dave_17 Member Posts: 5

We do a lot of Burnham V11s and Smith 28s. We have a hand truck like yours. This works well if you are on flat, level going. However it tends to get a little tippy if the going gets rough. Also it is no good if you have to go up or down stairs.
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    rigging

Depending on the circumstances a electric hand truck comes in handy, we have lowered sections into boiler rooms with chain falls and a lifting eye, hung a chain fall off of a set of steel fire escape stairs to lower down sections into a basement. A small 4 wheel dolly works out well for long runs.
    I disconnected a W/M 688 today. The demo guys are breaking up the sections and hauling out today. Tommorow they are rigging in the new sections,burner,material and throwing out the packing material. My men have not set foot on the job and when they show up on Wednesday every thing is set for them to go. I feel that it is $ well spent to farm this part out. Good for moral too.
  • Did you look into the Escalera ?

We have the 700 lb. max version , and have taken out boilers alot heavier than that . One American Standard boiler had to be close to 1000 lbs . We took it up a flight of stairs , and it was almost effortless , except someone had to balance the boiler a little when the nubs would grab the step . They also make a 1200 lb. max version , all are made of aluminum , and they have many attachments you can buy . Last time I was at their site they had a deal to buy the handtruck and get the big rubber outrigger wheels for free .
  • Heres the site

> We have the 700 lb. max version , and have taken

> out boilers alot heavier than that . One

> American Standard boiler had to be close to 1000

> lbs . We took it up a flight of stairs , and it

> was almost effortless , except someone had to

> balance the boiler a little when the nubs would

> grab the step . They also make a 1200 lb. max

> version , all are made of aluminum , and they

> have many attachments you can buy . Last time I

> was at their site they had a deal to buy the

> handtruck and get the big rubber outrigger wheels

> for free .

• Heres the site

i think i can make a link: http://www.escalera.com/

nope
  • mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 225
    Boiler handling

Great Subject!

We evolved from the grunt method years ago and as I get older I tend to use my head a little more (too soon oldt too late smart)

As far as old boilers go I sometimes contact salvage companies that are properly insured and bonded, some even do it for nothing if the recycle prices are up and they can turn over a nice profit. In Milwaukee if you leave any kind of scrap iron near the curb it will be gone by morning.

Steel boilers can be cut up of course and even old middle sections of cast iron boilers can be size reduced and weight reduced with a properly swung sledge hammmer.

When I replace cast iron boilers for hydronic heat I try to sell the modular type setup that has fuel consumption and handling benefits.

Recently I had a contract to install 4 steam boilers in two separate National Guard Armories and I bid to have an outside wall opening cut in and replaced. This required the use of an expert rigger I work with, but I more than made up for the cost of the opening as I was able to slide out the boilers whole and avoid labor intensive dismantling.

Not only are we wetheads, we are glorified grunts!

MP 1969
This discussion has been closed.