Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lightweight overpours

chuck shaw
chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
When installing a radiant system with a gyp-crete overpour, do you normally include that as part of the heating bid? Or is this something that the homeowner/general contractor takes care of? Are there any pros/cons to either method?

thanks in advance

Chuck Shaw

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=143&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    It depends

We will recommend that the G.C. or homeowner contract for it seperately or we will price it out as a seperate item. When we bid the tubing side, we always include a figure for helping with the pour. We want to be on-site when our tubing is covered, just in case. When we include the underlayment in our bid, we add a mark up to compensate us for the "headache".

Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908

Hi Chuck!!!

In my area there aren't any gypcrete companies. So I hooked up with a gypcrete gypsy that doesn't mind the travel and will come here to NY to do jobs. I carry his number in my heating number.

There is a company a few hours west of here that will bid gyp jobs but he wants to do the tubing install as well.

Doesn't do a heat loss, just staples down the tube. NO WAY I get in the middle of that!!

I have had no problems including the GC number with my own..

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    I like to include it

for a number of reasons. First I want to make sure the gyp guy understands the job and installation. I get to chose from the gyp guys I work with and trust will "be there"

And of course if it is a line item on my job cost estimate sheet. Guess what I make money on the gyp installation!

Generally the more of the "extra subs" work you can include under your bid the smoother and less hassle for the GC and homeowner. In my opinion.

hot rod

• Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    We usually...

hand the phone number for the gypcrete contractor over to the general, home owner, or whoever. I have a good relationship with him, and he always does a great job for me, but i don't want the headache of trying to schedule for him. The guy drives 260 miles to show up, and earns the right to schedule other jobs here at the same time.
    I also don't have to take the flack for holding up the job, IF he isn't able to show up exactly when they want him.
    Steve
  • J Prisby
    J Prisby Member Posts: 5
    Why not take control of the whole project yourself?

Hey guys!
    I am not trying to make a shameless plug, but I can't sit back and hear about some of the issues you face day in and day out when there are alterative products that keep you in control and gets you in with the Builder.
    I am talking about the Climate Panel System by Stadler-Viega? It's a 1/2" plywood system with an aluminim backing that installs on top of the subfloor. The house doesn't get framed any differnet then if it was heated with forced air. It can be installed anytime and unlike a light weight pour, this dry system allows the floor coverings to be installed right away. All the headaches some of you mentioned are gone and you are in complete control of the Radiant System Installation.
    You want your Builder to think about using Radiant, show him something he can promote without creating him issues or headaches for himself. Blowing the schedule of when the Homeowners can move because the floor is not completely cured to finish the floor covering doesn't have to happen. Someone you recommended doesn't show up to do the pour and holds up the project is a concern to you now. How about the project that's several hours from nowhere, with the Panel System it's the same price per sq.ft. Does the Light Weight Pour Guy charge more per sq.ft. when he has to travel a couple hours, you bet.
    For the last 3 years I have been showing contractors like yourselves this system at Jobsite Training Classes. These are classes geared to show you and have you experiance the installation of this system. You gain the confidence and experience usually needed to think outside of the box.
  • J Prisby
    J Prisby Member Posts: 5
    Why not take control of the whole project yourself?

Hey Guys!
    I am not trying to make a shameless plug, but I can't sit back and hear about some of the issues you face day in and day out when there are alterative products that keep you in control and gets you in with the Builder.

I am talking about the Climate Panel System by Stadler-Viega. It's a 1/2" grooved plywood system with an aluminum backing. A bead of heat transfer silicone is applied to the groove before the 5/16" Pex tubing is installed into the groove. This increases the transfer and keeps the system quiet. This system is installed on top of the subfloor like the light weight pour, and since it's plywood the builder and flooring installers like working with it.

Addressing some real issues and advantages couldn't be easier. All the headaches and issues some of you mentioned are gone and now you are in complete control of the Radiant Installation. The house doesn't get framed any different then if it was heated by forced air. It can be installed anytime and unlike a light weight pour, this dry system allows the floor coverings to be installed right away. Blowing the schedule of when the Homeowners can move in because the floor is not completely cured to finish the floor doesn't have to happen.
    You want your Builder to think about using Radiant, show him something he can promote without creating him issues or headaches for himself. Someone you recommended doesn't show up to do the pour and holds up the project is not a concern to you now. How about the project that's several hours from nowhere, with the Panel System it's the same price per sq.ft. Does the Light Weight Pour Guy charge more per sq.ft. when he has to travel a couple hours? You bet and that affects your Radiant System price, like it or not. My point is you do have options, educate yourself on what's available.

For the last 2.5 years I have been showing contractors like you in the Midwest this system at Hands On Training Classes. These are classes geared to show you and have you experiance the installation of this system so you have a good understanding learned by doing. Do you walk away an expert, no but you gain confidence and knowledge usually needed to think outside of the box. I put one on every chance I can, drop me an email if you want to be informed of one in your area.

Sincerely,

Jim Prisby

Stadler-Viega
This discussion has been closed.