Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect radiators

antman
antman Member Posts: 182
Have a job that has a couple of indirect cast iron radiators in the basement. One feeds a dinning/family room. Currently homeowners claims the register does not emit heat very well, Not much experience with these but have read in Dan's book that they require a fresh air source?, so went to look. Found intake duct in a crawl space under the family room which has no grills to outside. There are some windows that are all boarded up.
My questions is do I have to size up the fresh air inlet, or could I rely on existing duct size and should I extend it to the window with a new grill.
Customer also has concerns about a cold draft coming in thru floor register when not in use.
The reason I am asking is because homeowner wants to install some radiant under family room hardwood floor. Since it is over a crawl space he claims there is a 20* difference in floor temps from dining to family rooms ( dinning room is above basement).Curently there is no heat in family room . 1 cast iron radiator in dinning room that the homeowner had changed, and the floor register for indirect.
I'm thinking about putting the family room with radiant emmision plates on a setpoint control mainly for floor warming and hoping to utilize the indirect to adequatelty heat the area.
Homeowner claims that the two rooms are warm but there is definately a difference.
I'm sure I probably confused some of ya, but any thoughts?

Thanks, Anthony

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=239&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    how about

A fresh air exchanger.bring fresh air in from outside thru
    exchanger pipe in to duct for indirect,wire in to 120volt tstat.IT will help with cold draft,humidity,and give 150cfm for air exchange across indirect.(Mini force air system)
    Also will handle any contaminated air issue,just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.