Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement Boiler

HI Guys
I was hoping to get some advice. I live in Ma in the North East. I live in a 3 bd room split level house that was built in aprox 1972. The house has a nat gas forced hot water boiler with baseboard heat. Best I can make out the orig unit is a Comador by Burnham, serial # 72E41234. The unit has been pretty good over the years. The gaskets at the flanges on the circulator pumps look like they should be replaced. They have a fair amount of crusty build up on them.
My question is what is the useful life on a unit like this. And when should I expect to replace it. What would be a decent brand to go with at time of replacement.

Thanks for the help

Ken

Comments

• Rich
    Rich Member Posts: 20
    Boiler Replacement???!

Ken. Your Question has alot of personal variables to concider.Most brands now adays are pretty good.You mention Burnham.Good company.Weil-Mclain is another.Slaintfin.Dunkirk.If the boiler is cast iron the similarities are great.The circ flange gaskets should be easy enough to change. Your best bet is to have a reputable company who can service your boiler take care of it. And if it aint broke, don't fix it!!
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Boiler replacement

usually happens with complete boiler death, usually a hole in a casting section. If your boiler hasn't had constant leaks where fresh water needs to be added and the boiler has been cleaned regularly ( I assume it's an oil fired unit given where you live) it will probably last another 20 years with yearly service.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    what town..

I'm in SE NH near Portsmouth...KPC
This discussion has been closed.