Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How close 2 wall/ceiling route steam pipes/1929 condo puzzle

Options
Susan
Susan Member Posts: 1
Hi,

Not sure where to start with this one, but pictures are worth a 1,000 words.

You can view photos of pipes in my unit and of boiler at this URL:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b30f4f3a05b0

I just bought the 700 sq. ft. basement unit in a 1929's building just south of San Francisco. The building was luxury condos and my unit was the servents' quarters. The unit is half below grade.

The gas boiler is about 11 years old.

Everyone has radiators in their units, except me. My source of heat is the actual steam pipes run everywhere. In some places the pipes are 3' from the wall and 1.5' from the ceiling. The pipes were boxed in. I removed the boxes to get more head room in my condo. You can see the outline of the oversized boxes in the pictures.

The boiler is only run a few hours in the morning and in the evening.

So, I have several issues:

1. Everything I've read said the pipes should be insulated. But if I insulate the pipes, will I be cold? I already feel cold a lot of the time; not that it ever gets below 35 here.

2. Can I safely re-route the pipes closer to the wall and ceilings? I've got about 50' of pipe that supplies only one up-pipe to 3 units above mine.

3. If I re-route the pipes am I messing with the efficiency of the whole system? And how cold will I be, if the pipes only go up and down the hallway? I'm thinking electric heaters, but the home association says that would make the utility bill go up? Or would that be offset from more efficent steam heat for the rest of the building, if I eliminate 50% of pipe in my unit and insulate the remaing pipe?

4. What are the smoke stains from? See pictures.

5. Do I have to scrap the paint off and re-paint, if I just want to paint the pipes? Lots of post about painting radiators, but not pipes? I don't think my neighbors will appreciate cutting off their heat while I take the pipes to be sand-blasted and powder coated.

6. The pipes are level in some spots. In other spots they slope one way. In other spots they slope the other way. I followed the pipes all around and through the building with my level. (My neighbors think I'm strange.) In general there doesn't seem to be a consistent slope to the pipe. Hence, does it matter if the pipes aren't sloped correctly in my unit?

7. Would adding a ceiling fan help warm the floors?

8. The exposed pipe in the kitchen was already painted by the previous owner. Should I assume that this paint is going to peel? I don't think the previous owner was very "smart" about his "improvements." The pipe appears to have been painted with the same paint as the kitchen walls.

Of course, the home owner's association thinks I'm trying to cause everyone great expense and pain by asking too may questions. The 16 unit building splits the gas and electric bill. They claim the bill is over $3000/mo. in the winter. The other units are all between 1200 and 2000 sq. ft. Of course, there is no insulation. The windows are all single pane. There is knocking in the pipes, but not too bad. I also hear swishing and little roars.

Obviously, I'm another steam heat rookie looking to unravel a mystery. At least the steam heat is in better shape than the electrical. Any advice is appreciated as well as a recommendation of a good steam heating contractor in San Mateo, CA.

Thanks,

Susan

Comments

• Kent
    Kent Member Posts: 18
    Options
    comfort

Dear Susan,
    If your room is reasonably comfortable, don't touch a thing.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options

1. I'd not insulate as that would decerase the heat you now have. 2. I'd ask a paint store what paint will put up with 212*F heat on pipes. and paint them what ever color you want 3. Leave the pipes well enough alone. The slope and such is needed for the operation. 4. the Dark lines above the pipes is dust placed there by the heat going up off the pipes. 5. A cieling fan sure would help.
    bigugh
This discussion has been closed.