Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ThermoFin attachment idea

Options
Dave H_2
Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
In a previous life, I built heavy duty saws for the picture frame and window industry.

Alot of the machines were designed to cut mitered aluminum frames, 12-18" saw blades at 3400 rpm - makes ya stop and think.

But anyway, those aluminum machines would get a spray attachment of atomized water soluble oil. This lubricates the blades and keeps the blades sharper longer.

You can easily get this and use a spray bottle. Every 2-3 cuts, just a couple of sprays. The blade will keep 2-3 times longer.
Dave H

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    The lack of

pre-drilled holes has been a bit of an issue with these heavy extruded plates. I have tried a number of different methods for nailing and screwing them up.

Automatic, self feed screw guns still seem like the quickest, best attachment. However the aluminun chips tend to jam up the feed mechanism when working over head. Also the screws tend to thread the plates and push them away from the floor sometimes.

I used my table saw to cut these slots for screws. It also allows some expansion room.

Quick and easy to do. Wear ear plugs and a face shield, set the blade real shallow and be careful.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • eleft(retired)
    eleft(retired) Member Posts: 98
    Options
    slots

hr,

Have you tried your D Walt cut off saw to cut the slots?

al
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Now if

you had a small plastic sleeve that would help limit how far the screw went in you could get a tight screw and at the same time micro space for the Thermo fin to move. Sholdd move quitely also. Just a guess bigugh
  • hr
    Options
    Good idea

I did cut all these ThermoFin to 2 foot lengths with the Dewalt dry cut. In all honesty my 10" miter saw with a non ferrous blade leaves a nicer cut than the dry cut blade. Same with copper tube. Here is the difference between the two cuts.

I suspect the dry cut blade is more multi purpose while the non ferrous blade is specfically for aluminum.

I certainly am not going to give up on the Dewalt dry cut. It's the SUV of saws in my opinion, a fine addition for any plumbing/ heating shop.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I started a fad...

2 months ago, no one on the big job site I'm doing the snowmelt on had ever heard of a Multi-Cutter Saw.

Thursday, when I was riding my bicycle around all the trades encampments on the job site looking for a push broom of mine that had suddenly disappeared, EVERYONE had a Muli-Cutter saw.

Funny how that works.

You're right HR, after having used it for a couple hundred cuts on 4,3 and 2" steel, it doesn't cut the 4, 3 and 2-1/2" "L" copper as clean as my copper only saw cuts, but it is still the bees knees.

ME

• John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Nail guns

I thought you were using a roofing nail gun to attach them?I was thinking of giveing that a try on our next staple up.

I know exactly what you mean about the chips,but haven't had a problem with them pulling away.Maybe I'm useing a different type of screw.

• hr
    Options
    Hey, John!

This batch of plates is for a metal ceiling I am trying to turn into a panel radiator :) I found they attach better if pre -drilled, punched, slotted, or whatever!

Otherwise the roofing coil nailer would be the weapon of choice.

I demoed a stapler once, it seemed to distort and buckle the plates a bit more than I liked. It seemed to effect the contact "patch" The coil nailer works fine, a little more $ per shot than a stapler, pennies really.

Demo a few staplers before you buy. Some of the less powerful ones (narrow crown finish staplers) would not shoot through the Thermo Fin heavy plates, I discovered. The staples would buckle up and jam the gun.

hot rod

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Staple

We have found it easiest to staple up Thermo-fin with 3/4" staples using a pneumatic stapler. I've had too many problems with screws falling out after a year. I haven't had any stapled jobs fall. Now if I could just get my competition to understand the benefits of plates.
This discussion has been closed.