Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solder Question

Options
Adam E
Adam E Member Posts: 43
I'm getting ready to move some Monoflo tees and do some other alterations to a 1" main from my boiler.

I've got some Oatey 95/5 solder and I was wondering if it's ok or if I should trash it and go in search of some Silvabrite 100.

Also, I read today that 95/5 shouldn't be used on brass. Is there any truth to that? How can you tell cast copper from cast brass?

Thanks.

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    I never did like 95/5

I'd find the silvabrite. Cast brass fittings are yellow & or red. Cast copper is copper colored, most copper fittings are swedged, as copper has good ductile abilities. Brass doen not take kindly to overheating, likes to weaken and crack. 95/5 has a high melting point, and very limited fluid temperture range. Silvabrite is much easier to use. anyway bigugh
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Bigugh knows!

The 95/5 melt point is very close to the burn point of the modern day fluxes. You have to be spot on with you temperatures to get a perfect joint.

Solder's cheap compared to leaks :) Go with the Silverbrite 100 or JW Harris Bridgit, would be my advise.

Keeping the water at bay may be your biggest challange when cutting into exisiting systems. Keep a wet vac on hand.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Adam E
    Adam E Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Silvabrite?

Ok. I'm looking on the net for Silvabrite 100 and I've found two different names.

The first is Canada Metal and the second one is Wolverine Technologies. Are they the same? My bet is that Canada Metal makes it for Wolverine, but I wanted to check first.
  • Joe at krahezfoo@aol.com
    Options
    Using 95/5 on brass

If you are going to join metal to metal, then you should take the time to research what you are doing. This is a science in itself.To answer your question about using 95/5 on a brass joint; I refer to the Harris Soldering and Brazing Products Catalogue; an antique; dated 1989. 95/5 is a tin-antimonal solder, and is not recommended for brass. Stay-Brite, Stay-Brite 8, or Brigit are recommended for this application. The trick in making a good joint is to watch what happens at the joint when you heat it. A soft solder joint is ready when the flux evaporates; a brazed joint is ready when the filler melts and flows into the joint. It takes practice!!! Check with your wholesaler and see if you can get a current Harris catalog; lots of good info if you look around. Good Luck!
  • Al_3
    Al_3 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Solder

Makes sense, I've used plenty of silvabrite, but have been using Wolverine brass solder for the past two years and it flows exactly the same, at about $2.50 less per roll.
This discussion has been closed.