Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Comparing radiant floor panels

Frank_3
Frank_3 Member Posts: 112
Looking for opinions/comparison of above-subfloor radiant floor panels. Specifically, I'm considering Stadler-Viega Comfort Panel, Wirsbo Quik-Trak, and RTI ThermalBoard. I've gotten some pro/con information already which is probably just making my life worse, so I'm looking for more!

- ThermalBoard uses 3/8" PEX which I was told is easier and more efficient than the 5/16" in the Stadler & Wirsbo product. The argument was that the 5/16" requires a pump with higher head than the 3/8" tube. Same person also said the 3/8" is more common whereas the 5/16" you have to buy from Stadler/Wirsbo as well as the fittings. Any other thoughts on either of these points?

- I was just reading, though, that the ThermalBoard is a 5/8" MDF .vs. 1/2" plywood for Stadler & Wirsbo. I'm a bit concerned about out-gassing of the MDF (it's made with urea formaldehyde) when exposed to high temperatures. Am I being too picky?

- I read on The Wall about seperation of the aluminum laminate on ThermalBoard, as well as the risk of having it bloat if exposed to moisture. (I have an old dog who occassionally has "accidents" which would find their way through the rug to the ThermalBoard.) Anybody else have experience with these problems?

Would welcome any other thoughts about the pro/cons of any of these three products. If there are others out there that you think I should consider then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Radiant on top

To start with - all of the on top systems work well. Each of the systems will have it's own install criteria and quirks. If you check our installs at "find a contractor" below you'll see the site built system we use. The larger the tubing is the longer each loop can be - where you are designing for will help you decide on the best for you products, personally I like the 3/8 tubing down to 4" centres. Off gassing should not be a concern - you should never need fluid hot enough in a floor panel to generate that type of percolation. The 1/2" plywood of Stadler and Wirsbo is actually a good one side 7/16 product plus their aluminum sheeting. Look for a supplier you are comfortable with or the control arrangement that makes sense to you and install the associated product. It's hard to go wrong with ANY of the on top systems if you folow ALL the rules. Enjoy.......Dan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • J Prisby
    J Prisby Member Posts: 5

Frank,

I see you have done some research already, great. I am the Midwest Regional Sales Manager for Stadler-Viega. Here's my input to your questions.

1st - the Stadler-Viega (Climate Panel) and Wirsbo (Quik Trak) are manufactured by Stadler-Viega. They are made from 1/2" CDX fir plywood made with exterior wood glue, an aluminum sheet is stamped to the bottom of the panel to transfer the heat from the tubing evenly acrossed the bottom of the panel. Panel sizes are 7" x 48" and 10" X 48". Stadler-Viega and Wirsbo offer assembled panel packs too - (six single panels with a slight stagger on every other panel, this allows the pieces to easily go together like a big jig saw puzzle. (I have 2 little ones - I like big puzzle pieces) This is the only way to go, labor is dramatically saved compared to the single panels.

The RTI product is 5/8" MDF board with some type (sprayed or pressed on, not sure?) of aluminum(?) on the top. Their panels are 16" x 48".

Regarding out gassing - I don't believe there would be a concern with the RTI product, but I honestly can't answer that. I have no concern with the plywood panel.

Tubing sizes:
    I believe Stadler-Viega and Wirsbo are the only two manufacturers selling 5/16" tubing. The pressure drop through 5/16" tubing verses 3/8" tubing is higher but a properly designed system is what you're looking for. A higher head pump may be required regardless of the system, it's all in the design. All that you are talking about is using a 175 watt pump verses a 75 watt pump in most cases.

Other installation comments:
    A common 12" miter saw is a typical tool used to cut the 7" singles or 7" assembled panels. 10" panels require a slide miter saw. The RTI panel is 16" wide and the common saw used is a tablesaw. Something to think about.

Any floor covering can be installed over the Climate Panel and Quik Trak system, a concrete board may be required from the tile flooring people, but some tile guys will tile over the plywood panel. I don't think that is the case with the RTI product. Hardwood flooring contractors do not want to nail to MDF, Plywood is the preferred product, even to OSB.

The Climate Panel System has been manufactured since 1992, it's not new and has been tested.

If your located in the Midwest and you want to see an installation first hand, let me know (Ph 708-479-8585). I put on Jobsite Training Classes every now and then so contractors like you can experience our product first hand.

I hope this helps!

Jim Prisby
  • Andy N.
    Andy N. Member Posts: 53
    Stadler Viega panels

I have installed the Stadler Viega Panels and found them very easy to use. As said above its all in the design. Jim Prisby is very knowledgable and can help you a lot. The climate panels work great and make for a very neat installation. The tubing is perfectly straight and installing the panels is a peice of cake with a good miter saw and a pneumatic stapler.

just my opinion,

Andy N.
This discussion has been closed.