Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

weaver job photos s. milne

J.C.A.
J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
Maybe I'm being nitpicky , but now I wish I had wiped them joints a little more !
Thanks for the photos Scott . For all of you and especially Ron Jr. ....Scott dragged me "kicking and screaming " out of the basement about 10 months ago . I had been working for an oil company for quite a long time and seldom ventured out of the "netherworld" (cellar dwellar I will always be ). I feel privaliged to be working for #1, such a great boss , and #2,the best darn company on the "Gold Coast" of Ma.I've learned more in the last 10 months about this fine field than too many years being stuck in the dungeon could account for .
My thanks to Scott for "haunting" me long enough to come in and speak with him but most of all for letting me do the finest work that I can do . Sometimes letting me know a different way ..... but still in a positive manner . Thanks again "bossman" Chris.

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    New heating system

This a real fun job we have just completed. The owners, Dave and Kitty Weaver have an old family home that they are renovating. We spoke about the bathroom renovation and began speaking about radiant heat. Since the house was steam, it was tough for me to get a viable solution. We then spoke about the Gas Co. free boiler program. After going over all the options we decided to remove the old system and install a new gas fired boiler with Buderus panel radiators.

Dave and Kitty were very open to options and allowed us to design and install what I think is a very neat and simple solution.

Heres the original boiler, with the trac pipe gas piping just waiting to be installed.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ScottMP
    New Boiler

Heres the new Burnham gas fired Revolution. We installed Stadler manifolds and ran pex tubing to the Buderus Radiators. This is constant circulation for the panels and a priority for the exsiting Amtrol hot water heater which is the only thing to stay.

The whole thing is run thru a Tekamr 260 control.

The Revolution can take unlimited return water since it is primary/secondary from the factory. Nice piece of equipment.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ScottMP
    Piping

This is a view of the piping for the bathroom, I forgot to mention the bath is done with Stadler climate panel but since we needed supplemental a small runtal was installed and work at a high temp at the same call for heat as the floor.

We originally were doing Runtal but switched to Buderus panels.

• ScottMP
    Manifolds

These are the Stadler manifolds for the panels. We installed one extra loop so the pump would not be dead headed. Looking back I think a PDV would have been neater.

All the panels have Non electric thermostatic controls.

• ScottMP
  • ScottMP
    And last here is

A closer look at the Radiant circulators.

This work was all done by Chris Aiello ( JCA to wallies)

Nice job Chris.

• Thats great pipework Scott

I wish I could get a try on some of that type equipment. Hey , does Taco know youre using their flanges with the Grunfos circs ? I dont blame you , those freedom flanges have more meat to em . Keep up the great work .
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    This basement

have more room than your basement? Maybe we should move Wetstock there.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Thats.............

well woven pipes them Weavers got!Panel rads.......reset mmmmmmmmmmmmm gonna be cozy!Nice job crew!

cheese
  • I like being a cellar dweller

Someday , though , I might just come out and see the light , before I turn into a troll . So thats your handiwork Chris ? All that new fangled equipment and fancy pipework makes my jobs look like we are heating houses by rubbing sticks together . See ya at the Gathering , first beer is on me .
  • hey chris.....

since you're learnin' so much maybe you could do a little trade off and teach the boss "HOW TO SOLDER"

JUST a thought
    murph'
  • J.C.A.
    SOS Murph.

Don't put me in the middle of this squabble . I've taught him some of what I know , but you know the saying . Teach them SOME of what you know . Not ALL of what you know .
    Ask him sometime about my method . I'm sure it will make you giggle ! Still a cellar dwellar , and proud of it !

Chris"looks like something a homeowner would use"Aiello
  • ScottMP
    Thank-You Ron

Thats a real complement coming from you. Allthough the credit for the piping goes to J.C.A.

The flanges are a good example of using the best you can get. My guys dont like thats it's a different color but they work so well. The Grundfos has the check valve included.

You probably say the same thing I do " Why did'nt I think of that" Duh.

Scott

• ScottMP
    Allways wipe your jonts well

You never know when I'll show up with the camara, Chris. :)

Thanks for the complements.

I told Chris what I wanted to use for equipment and how I wanted it to work and off he went.

So much of this work is influenced by all of you guys.

Next one will be even better !!

Hey Chris, you've got a great attitude, keep up the good work. You would all be lucky to have such a good employee.

Scott

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Great work! Question..

You said that A tekmar 260 controls the whole thing..Does that control the constant circulation part or it too? or is that a part of the Stadler set up? I want to do the same thing in my place but was unsure of how to control it.Did you use any TRV's? I have a Buderus 115-21 boiler and the same panel rads.Thanks for the pictures...I love seeing all the great work that is being done by true craftman... kpc
  • ScottMP
    Thank You Kevin

Yes the buderus panels have trv's. The picture don't show it because they were added later.

Yes the Tekmar controls the pump and shuts off on the warm weather shutdown and priority from the domestic.

This was a fun job for us.

Scott

• WELL WE

WOULD want weaver's wonderfully well woven wet water ways with white warning wables, would't we!!

oh krafty one got me started, again!!
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Them there joints

Look fantastic compared to the perpetrations I come up with. I can't make look neat to save myself. Always wind up with boogers, drips and runs all over. Does the type of solder make a difference on how much drip you get?

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Try...

keeping a compressor and a hose and a blow gun handy for the most beautiful joints you've ever seen. As soon as your're done soldering it, hit it with a quick blast of compressed air while the solder is still liquidus and VIOLA, the perfect joint.

Be careful to direct your blast away from the inlet to the joint to avoid blowing solder INTO the joint instead of off of it. Oh, and be prepared (drop cloth) for the splatter.

The more you know, the better you are.

Work smarter, not harder.

Great job guys! Only thing I'd have done differently is to turn that Gfos pump so the j-box is on top.

ME

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Solder & flux and the joint

Reading carefully on the flux container,it says "use sparingly" Most of us just go ahead and get the job done! However if "used properly" there would be no excess flux to run all over the place (outside and inside the pipe) and have the solder follow it! 3 million years ago when I attended school for plumbing, It was told to me, "Clean right, Flux right, and Heat right" and a perfect joint would come out every time. And yes, you can over (under) clean, over (under) flux, and over (under) heat any joint any time. The space between the pipe and fiting has to be between .002 &.003 inches. How much flux will fill that space? The solder is heavier and will displace the flux needed by capillary attraction action. A moment of shop practice, will invite you to become better and a review of your expertise is something all good mechanics should do. Just like drinking beer "practice makes perfect" anyway bigugh
  • Gary Fereday
    besides that!

A fellow wallie told me how to get that sparingly every time. He also told me he would have to kill me if I revieled that knowledge or where it came from. So it is out there have fun! anyway bigugh(:>)
  • Gary Fereday

It been said that Gary USA knows you may see if he will spill the beans (flux). Anyway bigugh
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    A most excellent job my man

You ought to be proud and The Weavers should be very happy. I just hope you charged enough for all that labor intensive work...Mad Dog

• J.C.A.
    Re: the j-box under, M.E.

I don't think the picture shows exactly how the floor of the fireplace above comes out toward the boiler . If I had put the box on top , there was no way to get even a tiny little hand in there to do the wiring or get the cover off to do so . The sheets included in the Grunfos ' box show how to mount the pump . To move the box don't make a whole lot of difference . Ease of service is one of my goals , having to go back and fix something as trivial as that would kind of kick that in the b@&&% , know what I mean ? Chris.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Sometimes...

a man has to do what a man has to do (Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry). I see your point.

Good job.

ME

This discussion has been closed.