Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please Help with Zoning

Ed_5
Ed_5 Member Posts: 24
I have a 42 feet long and 8 feet wide addition that will be partitioned off into 3 rooms. The first being 8x7 (laundry room), the second 24x8 (addition to existing kitchen) and the third 11x8 (foyer). I'm using Thermofin in the ceiling and the spacing will be 8 inches on center. The boiler is approx. 10 feet away from the center of the kitchen addition. I'll be using 1/2" PEX. Is it best to run 3 separate zones? Thanks for any help you can give me. -Ed

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Its a toss up

Zone to split the pressure drop,and keep the pump size down.
    If need be. I dont see zoning for different temp unless you are willing to insulate the interior walls also.Just thinking out loud.
  • Ed_5
    Zone Help

Don, You're right, I don't need to zone for different temps. My main concern was that the 24x8 area could be on one zone run back to a manifold joing up with the other 2. I'm just looking for the best way to run the tubing. Thanks for your help. Ed
  • Zone Help

Kitchen, laundry and foyer.......if all of them have the same floor covering, one zone is all you need since the rooms will get common usage, i.e. they are "day use" areas. If you are concerned about it, give yourself some options by allocating separate loops to the rooms (it sounds as though you've already done this) and some additional wiring for future thermostats; you can add manifold actuators later.

By the way, how is the existing kitchen being heated?

All the best,

Alan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Ed_5
    zone help

Alan, the rest of the kitchen and the entire floor (1950's ranch house) has radiant ceiling. Copper tubing in plaster. I live in the Chicago area so I do see some very cold winters. It works pretty well. Thanks for the reply.
    Ed
This discussion has been closed.