Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

runtil radiators

Options
chuck shaw
chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
I looked at a home about 2 mths ago. Homeowner was having a problem with recovery. I believe the runtil radiators he has were piped in series. I have never done a full house in Runtil. My thoughts, are this should have been done with a mono-flow system. Or, does runtil have a valve you can install that would accomplish the same thing? Also, could someone give me runtils web site address, I cant seem to get to it.

thanks,

Chuck Shaw

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=143&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    chuck..

I have always thought that Runtal rads were meant to be piped as monoflows...???
    Website....runtalnorthamerica.com
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    You can pipe any radiators in series...

so long as you adjust your radiator size to the new, lower entering water temperature. To the best of my knowledge, Runtal doesn't have a special valve for bypassing, although they are available through Oventrop.

Here's a bold question for all you wallies. How many people upsize their baseboard based on the fact that the BBR is in series, therefore, the entering water temperature gets lower and lower as it moves along.

Not very many I'm guessing. I don't, and I've NEVER had anyone complain...

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Runtal & piping methods

Runtals will generally work better on a reverse return piping strategy, like other wall panel radiators. Monoflow systems may present some pressure drop issues. If the system would 'cost' more because of the additional piping, chances are a Runtal radiator would not be in the picture.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Series Piping...

ME,

Being the nut that I am, I "upsized" in two locations at the end of one of my series runs. I put in an extra foot of baseboard in my daughter's bedroom, and an extra six inches of CI baseboard in the bathroom behind it. There is about 20 feet of baseboard before these two areas. I only did six inches in the bath because I was hoping I would put in radiant floors there someday, and that CI baseboard is $$$ compared the regular stuff. Looking back, another six inches would have been better here because it's a bath.

I guess I did the right thing...my daughter's room is a tad warmer than the rest of the second floor, but you notice only if the door is closed (normally left open at night). When my grandmother-in-law visits, she sleeps in there and loves the extra warmth when she closes the door.

Take care, PJO
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    6 inches eh...

You are are rareity PJ. Keep up the good work.

ME

• PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Scary, huh?

ME,

Unfortunately/Fortunately (depending on your view), I get like that...just ask management. She rolls her eyes when I start...then they get glassy...then she either totally ignores me or is asleep :-) I get that way when she talks about colors, curtains, and/or baskets.

Sometimes the engineer, sometimes the nut...sometimes both!

Thanks for the compliment. Coming from you to a WAH (Wallie At Heart) like me, it's great.

Take Care, PJO
This discussion has been closed.