Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cpvc

Options
leo g_13
leo g_13 Member Posts: 435
cpvc is rated for 180*. and kevin, it is, as far as i can tell, not oxygen permeable.

leo g

Comments

• maha
    maha Member Posts: 3
    Options
    cpvc

Hello There,
    I was wondering if I can use cpvc instead of pex. I have a situation where I need to run some lines for heating a second floor deck. The floor is concrete with b deck. So I will be running parallel to the deck. Ceiling is exposed, which is why I don't really want to use pex.(looks ugly and has to be supported to often.)
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    i would in no...

circumstance use cpvc.If its going to be exposed just use type M copper...once you would heat up the cpvc it will droop anyways. it also does not have an O2 barrier on it and the glued joints?? thats my 2 cents kpc
  • leo g_12
    leo g_12 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    bow

manufactoring has produced a cpvc manifold for radiant. it is basically just T's that you cement together to what ever length you need c/w adaptors for pex hook-up, air purgers, etc. maybe check with them about using the pipe for actual runs. let us know what you find out!

leo g
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    really..

let us know. I wonder about the oxygen barrier thing.kpc
  • mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 226
    Options

Wirsbo sells 3/4" and 1" in straight lengths and it can be installed neatly, they even offer hangers that keep the centers exact. Most conventional pvc has joint failure above 150 degrees , and higher temps will require the cpvc to be hung or supported more often.

The only place I use cpvc is for softener discharges and condensate drains. I would opt for copper before I would install cpvc. As you can tell this is based a great deal on personal preference !

MP 1969

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Consider

using PAP pex al pex. It makes for a nicer looking job than regular pex. I use black colored if it is exposed, for UV protection.

I don't think Wirsbo offers the barrier pex he pex in straight lenghts, do they?

Is CPVC listed for 180 or hotter temperatures? Also glycol cannot be used in PVC or CPVC pipe if this is a consideration.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    PVC is so cheap

I would just put the pex inside it and use the PVC as a casing, that way you can paint it and keep it absoloutely straight.
This discussion has been closed.