Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can't find inexpensive radiator valves. Need suggestions.

Options
I'm converting an old steam system to hot water, each radiator valve has old bellows/spring packing. None hold any pressure at all. Need to change out each valve. The only things I seem to have access to in a timely manner are cheap Taiwanese crap or really expensive stuff. Need 11- 3/4" angle with union on outlet, 1- 1/2" and 1- 1". I don't need thermostatic fancy stuff. The cheap stuff is $7-$8 per and the expensive stuff is $60+ per. None are available quickly. Any suggestions on who to talk to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Luke Lefever, Lefever Plumbing & Heating, Inc. Elkhart, Indiana.

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Have good old ones

in 3/4" and 1" (valves only--no angle unions) Problem is that the tailpiece is still inside the old bushings. What size taps on your rads?
  • Bill
    Bill Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Radiator Valves

If first cost is a concern, you might want to consider installing the valve body only from a TRV and not the thermostatic operator. This will be less expensive and can be upgraded to a thermostatic valve at any time, which will probably pay for itself in fuel savings in a short period of time.
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    good idea

You should be able to get 3/4" Danfoss RA2000 valves for about @20

The "temporary" cap you remove when attaching the thermostatic actuator is a bit flimsey but does allow opening and closing of the valve without the actuator.

Mark
  • Luke Lefever
    Luke Lefever Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for the input

The old guy still left after Ferguson bought out our local supply house found that he can still get Hammond Valves outside of the "regular" supply chain. I appreciate the suggestions. If this doesn't pan out- I might do the idea of TRVs less actuators. Thanks, Luke
  • harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    Options

try barnetts www.e-barnett.com
This discussion has been closed.