Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensing gas boilers

Cosmo
Cosmo Member Posts: 159

Comments

• Cosmo
    Who has a good condensing gas boiler?

Just wanted feedback on reliability, and performance history of your favorite condensing gas boilers, am quoting one on a job and wanted to hear from you guys, I have used the GV from Weil Mclain so far...
    Thanks, Casmo
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Monitor MZ

I have not put in one but I hear they are Great.
    i have also heard good stuff onthe Munchkin by Heat transfer products.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908

I have used the Munchkin many times now and have had great success.

The MZ has a good reputation though I have no experience with them.

Viessman has a nice looking wall hung that I am going to look at very closely.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Have used two

The Dunkirk Quantum and the Hydrotherm multipulse. The Dunkirks have had ignitor problems. The Hydrotherm has gone through 25 years of changes and the one I installed has only needed a new blower motor in the four years in service as a fixed lead boiler heating a church. Have 4 300,000 input models about 15 years old, been through some abuse and have needed little repair except the occassional blower motor. The pulse has a relatively large water content, which should help eliminate the potential short cycling of most other condensing boilers. BTW, The GV is a noncondensing boiler...It efficiency peaks at 87%, where condensing boiler start at this point and go up. If you install the GV in a low temp(condensing temp) system, I believe you will still only get 87%, where if you install a truly condensing boiler, you could get up near 96%due to its ability to condense at low water temps, even if its AFUE is only 90%. While many think I'm nuts, the pulse is a much simplier boiler with less to go wrong, so that tends to make it more favorable in my opinion. They at one time had serious problems with the earlier versions, so it has had a bad rep in the past.

Boilerpro

• Cosmo
    I have noted the same thing

w/ the Weil Mclain boiler, that is why I am looking for a true condensing boiler now. I heard that Peerless makes one now?
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    The Peerless is

A munchkin dressed in a different color skin. I've had some experience with them. They don't seem to be a bad product. Alittle weak in the control end of things but I understand they will be coming out with intelligent type controls sometime in the future. Check out the Vitodens from Viessmann if you appreciate boilers as an art form. A truly awesome piece of equipment. Control package is complete also.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Trinity

Take a look at the NTI " Trinity".I just fired one up yesterday.The Sentry control board is great.

Brian
  • Brian
    Trinity

Take a look at the NTI " Trinity".I just fired one up yesterday.The Sentry control board is great.Check out their web site. www.nythermal.com

Brian
  • ken_6
    ken_6 Member Posts: 33
    sentry control board

what is a sentry control board. also understand they are a cheaped copy of munhckin. how do they compare? particularly
    price .
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Price

alone can not be used to determine which of these "boilers" is the best deal. You must carefully examine what components are included or that must be added to complete one installation over another.

Then you need to consider the operation characteristics available between models and manufacturers. This is no apples to apples comparison.

We will be installing an MZ on one job in two weeks while utilizing a Munchkin on another the following week. Both jobs are taylor fit to each boiler's characteristics. Each of these homeowners came with literature in hand from either trade shows or home builder expositions and the internet, which both of them used to gather more information. That's also where they found us(G).

It's the new soap opera "As the world shrinks"! The Internet that brought all of us together for Wet Stock is also opening up doors for educating the consumer to choices available. Opportunities!

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Trinity

I just looked at the trinity boiler and I'm confused. The 200mbh boiler is piped with 3/4" in and out. At 8gpm it takes something like 20' of head. Can't remember exactly. This baby better be piped primary/secondary. I think I will do a wait an see on this little bag of parts. It is very competitive but I see some changes coming down the road. Are they going for asme rating or not?
  • Brian
    Trinity

If you take a look at the pump specs you will see they have addressed that,but up until now I have been piping in Pri/Sec.,especially in multi-temp. applications.
This discussion has been closed.