Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water Heater

John_11
John_11 Member Posts: 40
I have a 7+ year gas hot water heater (40 gal.) I have not changed the temp of the water all summer. When only one shower is taken in the morning, maybe 10 min. into the shower the hot water rapidly decreases. There is a water saver showerhead on it now. I say now because a new showerhead was bought but we where loosing water at every shower. I think that shower head was not very water efficient. Now it is happening with the efficient showerhead. Is this a sign of the hot water heater failing? Or do I need to turn the temp up higher (again I have not changed the temp). Of course on gas hot water units (at least mine) it does not display the temp it is just a scale from vacation to hot. So I do not know what temp it is actually at. I did check the heater for deposits on the bottom of the tank but nothing. The tank does make a lot of noise when it is heating up. At one time I thought it sounded like carpenter ants (millions) where eating my house, is was just the water heater. Is this sound common when the unit is calling for heat? There are only 2 adults and one 2 year old in the house. I don't think we should run out of water with this little use. If anyone has any suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Comments

• D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    John HWT

My first thought is the Dip tube has left the tank . There was a Bad run a few years back . check the washer machine hose on the hot side there should be a filter if it is full of white stuff you might need a tube . shouldnt cost too much to replace ..

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John_11

I do not use hot water for washing. Any other ways to check? Thanks. John
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Another way to check

is to hold the inlet and outlet pipes on the heater in the morning while hot water is first being drawn off. If the hot pipe gets cold in a minute or so than the cold is short circuiting to the hot and the dip tube is probably off. As the other post said when your heater was new there were alot of bad dip tubes.

• You can remove the aireators on the faucets and see if any white stuff is there.Hope this helps
  • Water heater

I know you said that you do not use hot water for washing, however is the hot and cold water valves to washing machine open. If so close both of them (not a good idea to leave them on anyway)see if this solves your problem. It is possible for the water to feed back through the washing machine and cause your problem. The noise in the tank is it "rumbling" or is it "crackling". Typically glass lined tanks will begin to do this (crackling) when the glass starts to "craze" (little cracks) water gets inside and then turns to steam. The noise is the steam bubbles escaping into the cooler water. The rumbling can be liming in the bottom of the tank that is hardened and will not flush out. A 40 gallon water heater is plenty for your size family. One last thing with the water heater being drawn down (shower on) go to the water heater and hold on to the outlet water pipe it will be hot, does it suddenly get cold? If so the dip tube is bad. If it stays hot but your shower problem occurs at that time the tank is okay your problem is the washing machine thing or mixing valve on the shower may be faulty.
  • John_11

The noise is crackling.
  • John_11

At my washing machine I have the standard hot and cold water going to a shutoff that controls both hot and cold. Should I shut off the hot water in the basement at the shutoff since I do not use this anyways?
  • John_11

What is the white stuff from?
  • Crackling is an indication that...

the tank inside is developing small cracks in the glass lining. The tank is on the way out. It may last another year or two it may not.
  • Yes shut of the hot water to the washing machine

> At my washing machine I have the standard hot and

> cold water going to a shutoff that controls both

> hot and cold. Should I shut off the hot water in

> the basement at the shutoff since I do not use

> this anyways?

• The dip tube

is or has fallen apart.It is breaking down
  • The hardness and

mineral content of the water in your area can cause this not a whole lot you can do without some kind of water conditioner or water treatment. Flushing out aerators and flushing the water heater helps to keep things from getting real bad. I have gotten in the habit of flushing a little water out of the bottom of my water heater at least once a month. I have a tank that has been in 17 years!!!! Nothing special just a 50 gallon glass lined run of the mill water heater.
  • John_11

At what point is it time to get a new water heater? I guess it would be better now than some Saturday night when we don't have hot water for 2 days. Lets say it is the dip tube that has fallen, should I spend the $ to fix this or since I am getting signs of it going should just replace it now? The crackling noises are loud and lots, would this mean it is really going to go soon? If I should get a new unit, what should I get? It must be gas but I don't know if there are different ones, some better than others? Since I would be getting a new one should I get a 50 gal Vs a 40 gal? This is a 4 bedroom house and there is potential of another child, 2 adults and 2 children. Is a 40 gal o.k. I just don't see that now due to the fact mine is old and now working correctly. Thank you very much for all of your help.
  • That is your decision but...

based on all you have posted here it may be time to replace your water heater. If you are not a professional then get someone who is and can be trusted. A 40 gallon high recovery rate water heater should be more than adequate for your family. If the children are small 40 is good. When they become teens no size is big enough. It is gas if there is typically a black pipe going to the heater. Do you have gas in the house? If so then more than likely it is gas. Good Luck.
  • Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    noisy hwh

In a hard water area, mineral deposits will solidify in water heaters. This stuff looks like beach sand and falls down to the botttom of the tank. If there is enough of this sand at the bottom, the heat transfer from the burner fire becomes compromised. The sand and water at the bottom starts to boil,sends out rumbling sounds, and the water goes cold too soon. If this is the problem, then you must drain out the heater completely, and flush out the sand. Years ago we provided this service to a lot of customers by removing the drain cock and installing a ball valve. Then we would use an electricians snake, twisting and turning, churning up the sand while letting in cold water. We would catch the water in a bucket, and when it filled, close the valve, dump the bucket and continue. Don't empty the bucket into a drain 'cause you don't want sand in the sanitary drainage system. It was not uncommon to get out 5 gallons of sand from hard water neighborhoods.
    as far as replacements go. I really believe one is just as good as another. Go for the longer guarantee, it's worth the extra $.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Buy a new one, John

7 years is a fair life cycle for a 40 gallon in a household your size. A new top quality, well insulated tank, would be a wise investment, I feel.

The sound your hearing may be "perculation" As the tank fills with sediment the heat from the burner is being transfered through all that crud in the bottom of the tank. Very inefficient heat transfer. It sounds like a rumbling or crackling noise. Why waste anymore time. Flushing a tank, in my opinion, will be a very temporary fix and usually ends up in a leaker!

Check your water for hardness, adding a water softner, with the new tank, may help both your water heater life and performance, as well as soap useage and faucet life.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John_11

Thank you for all your great information. John
This discussion has been closed.