Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard/pex

Options
HeavyP
HeavyP Member Posts: 52
Can you run 1/2" pex tubing intead of copper, to 3/4" baseboard.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Depends on

what kind of flows and BTUs you need to move. I have used 5/8" Pex al Pex. Most manufactures have baseboard fittings available. The PAP moves a bit less than regular pex and forms nice sweeps up into the baseboard.

I tried regular pex once, and it was a hassle keeping the element in place!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I do it quite often.

I use Wirsbo's Multicor (PAP) tubing for baseboard runs. I set a centralized manifold the pull a supply and return to each area being served by baseboard. By doing this, every baseboard gets fed with the same temperature water and future zoning is much easier with telestats. If I were to do a loop system, the flow rates and pressure drops would be critical.

Warm Regards,

heatboy

"Expert in Silent Warmth"

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I do it quite often.

I use Wirsbo's Multicor (PAP) tubing for baseboard runs. I set a centralized manifold then pull a supply and return to each area being served by baseboard. By doing this, every baseboard gets fed with the same temperature water and future zoning is much easier with telestats. If I were to do a loop system, the flow rates and pressure drops would be critical, but can be accomplished if these two factors are known.

As far as using Pex, I have a self-imposed limit of 145°F I run through the tube, so unless there is lots of board, I don't use it anymore.

Warm Regards,

heatboy

"Expert in Silent Warmth"

heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Pex

We use allot of Wirsbo 1/2" HePex for baseboard loops.You do need to watch the amount of baseboard and the length of the runs.We've been useing it four four or five years now with no trouble at all.Before that we used all 5/8".The 1/2" is much easier to work with.I used 1/2" in my own house almost 10 years ago.

I would love to switch to Wisbo's multi core if they had a different fitting system other than those bulky compresion fittings.Something with a crimp ring or something????????

• Don Robertson
    Don Robertson Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Sizing for Radipex systems

Wirsbo has a handy chart for sizing pex with baseboard radiation. It is in the Radiant Floor installation handbook on page 89 (6th edition). It may also be available on the website.
  • Chris Maderia
    Chris Maderia Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Not a Problem

The only limitation to using 1/2 Pex is total length of baseboard per zone. Maximum footage is around 50 feet per zone. If you have a zone that contains more you would only need to change your circ pump from a 007 to a 008 or just split your zone into 2 loops.
  • HeavyP
    Options
    Temps

The baseboard run on each zone is no more then 15 ft/zone. Do I keep the temperature at 180* or do I lower the temp? Thanks for the help guys.
  • HeavyP
    Options
    Temps

The baseboard run on each zone is no more then 15 ft/zone. Do I keep the temperature at 180* or do I lower the temp? Thanks for the help guys.
  • HeavyP
    Options

• John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Temps

We run our boilers at 180* for fin tube baseboard.Time will tell how long pex can stand up to these temperatures,but like I said I've been running mine in my own house at that temp for something like 10 years now and it seems fine.

If you lower the temperature be sure and derate the baseboard output for the lower temperature.Or put it on an outdoor reset so it only gets the max temp. a few days of the year.

One note be sure and leave room for tubing expansion as it will grow tremendously!

• keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    1/2 tubing

is perfectly acceptable to feed baseboard. Unless I am missing out on something,by my estimate the 1/2" I.D. tubing will only supply about 15,000 btu's of heat which is enough for 25' of baseboard at a 20 degree delta tee. A larger circulator will not over come a pipe size that is to small. It only creates another set of problems.
This discussion has been closed.