Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 Systems 1 Chimney

Hello,
I am wondering if some one can give me some feedback on adding a oilfired hydronic boiler in the same area that a oilfired forced hot air furnace is currently being used!! The customer wants to keep the forced Hot air for most of the house, but wants baseboardfor a basement extension. There is no natural gas and she does not want Bottle LPN!! She has 1- 250 gal oil tank in the basement, The furnace has a 5" flue that increases to6" entering the chimney. The area for combustion air is approx.5'x15'x8', There is an electric hot water heater. The area to be heated is 12'x 24'x8' I would appreciate all info, suggestions and recommendations, Thanks, Carl Friberg ,Orange County, N.Y.(Leakenders)

Comments

• Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Can you find

an Oil Fired Boiler that is rated for approximately 9,000 Btu/h, as that is the rough, approximate heating load this boiler will supply. It is not made. Asking for trouble.

Jed
  • Bob Murray
    Bob Murray Member Posts: 20
    Why wouldn't you......

Install a boiler to sized to heat the new zone, and install a properly sized hot water coil in the ductwork of the old furnace thus eliminating the oil burner on the furnace. This way you have one heating plant doing multiple jobs. You also can eliminate the electric "hot water heater" and replace it with an indirect water heater.

Ahhh...the wonderful world of hydronics!!!

Bob
This discussion has been closed.