Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PVC Ball Valves

Earthfire
Earthfire Member Posts: 543
Schedule 40 plastic valves never seem to hold up for me. the handles come of or they leak or some other problem . I started using Schedule 80 union ball valves exclusively . Haven't had any of usual problems since. a little pricier but a lot fewer headaches,and no cutting out and regluing plastic lines

Comments

• Matt_2
    Matt_2 Member Posts: 1
    better ball valves

We have a range of greenhouses with 1-1/4 inch PVC irrigation lines.
    We have been using 1.25 inch Schedule 40 PVC lines with PVC ball valves.
    We have over 400 ball valves to control our irrigation.
    The ball valve has not held up. The valve wares out and we are constantly replacing them.

Could you suggest an alternative valve that is economical and that will give us better service?
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    try....

replacing them with threaded brass valves.
    You will have to add m. adapters and maybe a pvc union
    to get them in.... and be very carefull to get them tight...
    this will work well for cold water only.... hopefully you aren't
    using regular pvc for hot water anyway.
    Teflon tape AND a teflon based dope together seem to be the best
    way to insure that pvc to brass doesn't leak.

Floyd
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Ball valves

often times get sticky to turn after a lot of hard water service. I have used Floyds method, but be sure to fasten the valve solidly or you risk breaking the threaded portion of the PVC male adapter when they get stiff to turn.

Maybe a wheel handled gate valve would be better. I have 20 new 1-1/4" plastic gate valves. Yours for 50 bucks including shipping :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    PVC gate valves

I have some installed in about the most hostile location I can imagine--coming out of the ground on a slope. They are the drains for my lawn irrigation system (no annual compressed air blowout here). A quote from my grandpa's old set of "handyman" books certainly applies, "Lucky is the man with a rear-sloping lot."

They are operated very infrequently, once or twice per year, tend to get covered over with dirt/grass, hit by the little spade when uncovering them, and I've had zero problems in five seasons.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    In leiu

of mip adapters does a schedual 80 threaded nipple have more strength in it and then a coupling? One nipple equals two mip adapters. and two couplings, cost cannot be to much more out of line. just thinking bigugh
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    This is just what i was talking about

in regard to Materials.....a point fot the old school! However, if any decent valve is "exercised on a regular basis, it's life and performannce will be gtreatly extended Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • i had almost read that wrong

but i agree exercising keeps them in shape for when needed the most, and also exercise yo main house and sub-panel "breakers" so they will last longer (lurned that the hard way)
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    That's why I like fuses better

No matter how old they are they will still blow when necessary. Wonder how many people have gotten killed by breakers not working properly? I've seen them not work and apparently you have too...pretty scary stuff!

Boilerpro
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    You WILL Get What You Pay For!!

Please don't even consider PVC valves...use American made brass valves.

Bill Russell
  • any one hooking up equipment to the old FP

federal pacific boxes assume liability for the whole shooting match!!! them was bad news and alot of payoffs over the last couple of decades till the company/division was sold!! as i understand it there is still pricey replacements out there by the "new" patend (SP) holder, and revamped design but a lot of controvesy still exists@

hey was this a valve Q ??stay away from the cheepo stuff!!
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Cheapo???

Those replacement FED-PAC breakers ain't cheap.You can buy a GE 100amp panel for the price of one of them breakers. Zinsco is another one of the obsolete wonders out there. We use SquareD QO panels or Cutler-Hammer as second choice
This discussion has been closed.