Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler PM

Earthfire
Earthfire Member Posts: 543
Talk to the people at Zep or Calgon . They'll know if they are on the navy procurement list. Also talk to the base procurement office to see who is on approved supplier list.One of my Dads employees at the Shull district had been a chief petty officer (boilerman) one of the most knowledgable men I ever came across, find one of the older ones the help you

Comments

• Mark
    Mark Member Posts: 1
    Steam/Water Boiler PM

I have about 10 steam boilers that are 1995 vintage and they are all experiencing corroded tubes and tube failures. None of these boilers have any kind of chemical treatment. 2 of the boilers serve Navy Galleys. I'm not sure if the dearetors are working either. I am looking for info on a proper PM program. How do I diagnosis if a deareator is working? And is boiler watertreatment okay for boilers serving steam kettles? Also,the makeup water has a ph of about 8.2 (Navy Base Water).
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Boiler Failure

If you use a lot of make up water the boilers would have a short life . If the system is a closed system , check for steam leaks . If the system is a open system used for process , it would be a good idea to preheat the make up water using a hot water heater. Cheaper to replace a hot water heater rather then a boiler ..... Another thought , combustion , improper combustion , low stack temperature would create condensation and rot the tubes from the outside-in ..... Just my thoughts
  • Ed

If a steam boiler is used for process like in a bakery , do you think a steel boiler would last longer than a cast iron ? And does any boiler manufacturer even make a steel steamer anymore ? I mean in a residential size ?
  • BobD
    BobD Member Posts: 1

Tube type boilers are steel construction and it is imperative that water treatment chemicals be used,and chemical levels monitored frequently. Every city has water treatment companies that sell chemicals and/or service contracts. Steel goes south real quick in boilers without treatment.
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Residential Steel Steam Boiler

Hi Ron.......I was always taught to use cast iron with steam , but noticed "old" steel boilers still out in the field . I believe it may have to do with the homeowner maintaining their system. Maybe if they stay on top and fix steam and condensate leaks. As you know alot of make up water will rot out even a cast iron boiler in no time . A New Residential steel boiler being sold today ??? Not sure , Since the '62 steel strike I have not really seen any good steel being used for residential boilers. Bethlehem Steel in P.A. use to make the good stuff... Maybe some of the boiler guru's on the wall could answer this one for us ?
This discussion has been closed.