Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Direct Vent Vs. Power Vent

Options
keith
keith Member Posts: 224
that has a Carlin set up as a direct vent?

Comments

• keith
    Options
    Direct Vent Vs. Power Vent

Trying to close on a job. What do you guys prefer, The oil burner (AF2) or a power venter doing the job of venting the boiler? Thanks in advance, Keith
  • Bob Boltz
    Bob Boltz Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Venting

I like direct vent over power venting. Use Carlin for direct venting.
  • PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Dunkirk/Ultimate is one...

but I'm unsure of the Carlin. I know you can get it w/ Beckett and Riello I believe. Take Care, PJO
  • Kevin Coppinger
    Kevin Coppinger Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Direct vents

I also like the Carlin version, although the riello and Beckett af2 are both good choices.

I will NOT do a power vent unit. There are too many good choices in direct vents. Burnham LE-DV, Thermodynamics LM & CWL-DV, Vega G-10(by QHT),(my fav... Buderus 115-21 thru 34 ser.Even Utica has a DV set up of their starfire.

The Carlin is available in the Buderus and the thermodynamics for sure.
    What is most important is that the set up is done properly w/ instruments.
    Good luck .KPC
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Buderus

can be used with a Carlin. I am not sure if the Burnham LE-DV is available with the Carlin as an option.

I would not recommend the AF-II.

JMHO

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Kevin Coppinger
    Options
    AF2

The Burnham is only availaby w/ the Af2. I am 99% sure. What sort of problems did you have that you don't recommend it? I have used a few, mosly because whem Thremo-D introduced direct venting the AF2 was all there was.I have had some problems but it mostly was from Inexperienced burner techs that had no idea what there were working on and had not been to school to learn about this burner. Riello HAD their problems w/ the post purge control just recently.I guess it all set now. KPC
  • keith
    Options
    AF ll

seems to be a little tempermental. I'm not sure I am comfortable with them for D.Vent. The power venter might end up being another item that is ignored a few years down the road for annual servicing. I guess there are no short cuts with the newer equipment.
  • Bluenose_3
    Bluenose_3 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    chimney

Say chimney, chimney, chimney
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    AF2

has never given me a problem on the LE-DV boilers.

GREAT BOILER BURNHAM!!!!

I have had trouble with them on another similar boiler.

Carlin has given me the most reliable service in a DV applications.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    First choice

for direct vent is the carlin in a buderus. But have a few AFII in burnhams LEDV. Best compliment is when the customer said "Oh, Is it running ? " Very quiet. The "Z" flex muffles the exhaust sound and the round boiler helps too I suppose. The inlet air kit cuts down on fan noise. You hear the pre-purge , then the solenoid click, and then it is hard to hear the light off. Then the ignitor drops out and with the PSC motor............. Ok, I made my point. I have heard a lot of people gripe about the AFII but never a specific complaint. "Oh, I just don't like them"
  • Kevin Coppinger
    Options
    It's not...

always practical ie. electric conversions. But, yes a chimney wether Masonary or all fuel is best.But then again what would you prefer to do... Spend $1500-2500 on a chimney and then have only enough in your new house budget to go w/ a boiler and a tankless heater...Or go w/ a direct vent and and a indirect and maybe a reset control for similar money? Just a thought....KPC
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I'm to the point............

of saying that there must be a chimney if #2 is being used or go propane for side wall venting. Too many potential issues of side wall venting of #2 for me, be it power or direct vent. Quality of fuel with odors, sulfur and carbon being the main concern. McMansions can afford a chimney if they want oil fired equipment. Remember, just because the industry heads in a certain direction, it certainly doesn't mean it is the best direction for all concerned.

Between electrical consumption, increased maintenance cost (extra $25 for preventative service), life expectancy and potential liability, it is just not worth it. Naturally, this just my take and it goes against conventional wisdom ;-)

Warm Regards,

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.