Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

R-values for Stone walls

Options
JD
JD Member Posts: 1
I do a lot of work on old stone houses and barns. (and I live in one) Using the R values from the charts, an 18 inch stone wall (stone walls in my area are consistantly about 18 inches thick) has hardly any R value. Is there an "effective" R value that takes into consideration the buffer effect of a stone wall? A stone wall holds a great deal of heat. In the day time, the sun hits the wall and absorbs the heat, warming it. What is everyone's experience with sizing systems for houses with uninsulated stone walls?

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    According to IBR

12" stane walls have a "U" value of .34. Tha translates into roughly an "R" of 2.9. I generally figure 2.5 per foot. Infiltration?............Where did a put my coin?;-)

Warm Regards,

heatboy / climatecadvanced.com

"Expert in Silent Warmth"

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Stone and log

homes are tough to come up with accurate infiltration numbers, as hb mentioned. With an exisiting building you might consider having a blower door (infiltrometer) test done. This will not only show you the amount of leakage, but also the location of leaks. takes a lot of guess work out of the calc, and can be a real eye opener to watch!

Many utilitiy companies offer this service. My electric co- op offers it for free to members and $150.00 to non members. A deal at either price :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.