Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One-Pipe Steam Piping Questions

Options
I am currently repiping the steam main and risers in my house and have two questions regarding one-pipe steam systems.

1. I have read that I must pipe the steam main vent using a wye or wye trap along with the vent. I have not been able to find a description or diagram of this so that I can pipe the vent propery.

2. Are there any issues with using pipe unions in vertical risers or in a 2 inch horizontal steam main?

Your assistance with eiter of these two topics is appreciated.

Comments

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    I've never seen or heard of Having to use.......

a "wye" or "Wye trap" (Is that another name for a strainer?). Anyhow, if properly placed, 12-15" back from the drop and up nice and high on a nipple, a Wye could be nice as it might afford a little extra protection from the abusive, fast-traveling steam. However, we usually use a standard tee, with no problems. I feel that unions (or onions as I like to call 'em)are fine on vertical rises, but should try to be avoided on horizontal runs as they tend to collect and pool some condensate, which can cause snap crackle pop and Some big banging!!!!!! However, if your pitch is good, they really aren't usually an issue. Good luck and welcome to the Steam Club (free lifetime membership fee, but the dues will kill ya!!!!!) You have now begun your study of the artes perditae vaporare calorare(Latin for lost art of steam heating) Keep us posted Pal. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    steam re pipe

As Mad Dog said, never heard of this fitting. Aside from the quick vent(s) at the end of the mains, pitch all the piping 1" in 20', take off the riser connections on 45*s, don't use 1" pipe on horizontal take offs, insulate the new piping, watch the "A" dimention, install the Hartford Loop PROPERLY, put in drain cocks for flushing purposes,support all piping correctly, etc., etc., etc.
This discussion has been closed.